Invisible Disability

Started by PaintedCloud, December 05, 2017, 02:48:07 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

PaintedCloud

I got into work today and received an email that this week is "Disability Awareness Week" so I was reading it and was surprised to discover that there is an "invisible disability" section.  This is what it said:

"To define invisible disability in simple terms is a physical, mental or neurological condition that limits a person's movements, senses, or activities that is invisible to the onlooker.  Whether it be mental illness, a learning disorder, a chronic condition like rheumatoid arthritis, or even an addiction. "

Just food for thought on this snowy Tuesday morning.  I went and saw my psychiatrist yesterday and he "officially" diagnosed me with CPTSD, and wrote me a letter that i can give to work. So that made me extremely happy.

Three Roses

I would love an official diagnosis. Does this also mean you will be receiving trauma-based therapy? I hope so!

Seems to me that awareness is spreading for us, good news!

PaintedCloud

yes!! my work does offer an employee family assistance program where they cover a certain amount of sessions with a therapist.  With this letter, I am hoping my work will extend my sessions considering my therapy is long term :cheer:  i also got my GP to write a letter that she recommends long term therapy for me as well.  Fingers crossed!  Its very different in this province than it is back home.  Back home psychiatrists offer psychotherapy as well as perscribing medication, diagnosing, etc etc.  So if I saw a psychiatrist back home, it would be completely covered under the health care plan, here, psychiatrists ONLY prescribe medication and do diagnoses, so I am on my own to find and pay for therapy that my work wont cover under my insurance. smh

Strive2B

Thank you for this topic of discussion. I belong to a 12 step recovery group and  my complex PTSD affect so much my ability to work and access the step work.  My sponsor doesn't understand that it's extremely triggering for me. Can't really share too much about my condition in the group setting due to the fact that I feel nobody really gets it and I feel so isolated. As you know but the general population doesn't, complex PTSD is a whole other ball of wax. I just recently discovered the paper on this forum  about the inner and outer critic. So grateful for some direction. I feel so grateful to have found a place where I can be heard!!!!

sanmagic7

paintedcloud, so very glad you got your diagnosis and will be offered professional help.  that is absolutely great to hear.

strive2b, i've also been involved with 12-step groups in the past and felt very much the same as you.  not only couldn't they relate to me, but i couldn't relate very much to them because my addictions were only symptoms of the big picture of my life.  i'm not surprised your sponsor doesn't understand.

have you seen a therapist for the c-ptsd wounding?  i doubt that you'll get relief or even acknowledgement in a 12-step group.  c-ptsd calls for help particular to its own beast.  just wanted to let you know you're not alone in that struggle.

hugs all around.

Blueberry

strive2B, I've had similar experience with 12 step groups as sanmagic. Before it was evident that CPTSD is my problem, the groups helped me keep my addictions somewhat under control, but eventually I started going ballistic in groups, which I mostly kept under lock and key so to speak. Occasionally I flipped out and eventually stopped going.

I agree it would be good to see a trauma informed T.

I love your puppy, so cute!