'flash' trauma therapy

Started by sanmagic7, December 05, 2017, 09:26:37 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

sanmagic7

i have just received notice of a new trauma therapy coming onto the scene.  it's called 'flash' therapy, there are research projects in the works, and trainings are now being offered.

it sounded interesting to me in that it supposedly helps people 'flash' thru a traumatic memory and have it resolved, much as the brain 'flashes' into a trauma situation with the trauma remaining as a disturbing memory in very little time.  from what i read, this allows faster processing of disturbing memories without the emotional disturbance that often accompanies therapy. 

the other possible positive is that traumatic memories/feelings, etc., can be processed more quickly, which will reduce the time factor of being in therapy.  there was even a sort of 'warning' to therapists who are going to get trained in this technique that they may have to take their present business plan into consideration, because they will be working with clients for a much shorter time.

this seems like it would be attractive to ins. companies, possibly even national health services as length of treatment would be much shorter, so less money would have to be paid out for services.

it sounds promising to me, and i wanted to put the word out that this is on the horizon.  it will be starting in the u.s., tho, so for others around the world, i don't know how much longer you may have to wait.  i was glad to see, tho, that professionals of trauma treatment are continuing to work on making the healing process from trauma much more amenable to those who are suffering. 

let's hope this catches on and is as good as it sounds.  wouldn't it be loverly!

Three Roses

Dee

Without knowing details of the process it sounds like EMDR.  However, I found that causes emotional disturbances.  Yet, I did process trauma faster.  I cannot see me doing EMDR as an outpatient.

Elphanigh

Dee, that's is kind of what's I got from it as well. Emdr as outpatient is really difficult (this is what I am doing) , I can see why you wouldn't want to.

I am curious to do some reading on this type of therapy.

Eyessoblue

Yes sounds like EMDR therapy has worked really well for me.