imagery for CPTSD

Started by Blueberry, December 06, 2017, 10:49:32 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Blueberry

My present T explained something useful to me yesterday, which might help others too. He works a lot with imagery and this is really helpful to me. My translation of T's words might sound a bit unscientific so bear with me.

Our CPTSD is a biological neural network, and it's like a huge inflatable doll. Wherever we start work on it, it loses air, reduces in size and power, and till it finally crumples up and falls down leaving the outer casing deflated on the ground where it has next to no power over us anymore.

It really doesn't matter where we start to work on it, so it's good to start at the easiest place, for us. The least triggering. Something that won't bowl us over backwards for months. Apparently we don't even have to look at and process every last piece of trauma and retraumatisation we've ever experienced. Because the inflatable doll will hit the ground before we get that far. This is a relief for me quite frankly. My inflatable doll isn't crumpled up on the ground yet, but definitely a lot smaller, a lot less full of air. Sometime, my inflatable doll will fall. My T didn't say, and I didn't ask, but I'm sure that I'm over the half-way mark in processing.

Contessa

That's a great metaphor, it seems to fit my personal recovery experience well.

Such a good way to track your own recovery, and feel like the master of it :)

sanmagic7

very cool image.  i like it

Jazzy

This is awesome! It's easy to picture, even for those of us who are not very good with images, and is really encouraging. I hope it is accurate for me!

Erebor

This is a really helpful way of looking at it, thanks Blueberry. (Also, I love your username - blueberries are great! :D And so are you.)

Blueberry

Quote from: Erebor on December 18, 2017, 07:35:26 PM
(Also, I love your username - blueberries are great! :D And so are you.)

Thank you! Put a big smile on my face  :) which I need today.

Blueberry

Quote from: Blueberry on December 06, 2017, 10:49:32 PMMy T didn't say, and I didn't ask, but I'm sure that I'm over the half-way mark in processing.

Oh to be so optimistic! I think it is unlikely that I was at the half-way mark then. I wouldn't even dare to guess if I'm there now! ;)