I think I woke up my Inner Critic!!!

Started by Hope66, December 16, 2017, 07:42:37 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Hope66

Hi - I think I've woken up my Inner Critic, because I just feel like it's 'getting at me incessantly' just now - like it is telling me I'm 'bad' - it's annoying!  I wish it would stop.   :pissed:

Got to go...  wanted to write more, but I can't. 

I think this will hopefully get better - I will try to stay with the moment on this - and see what happens, but I don't like it...

Hope  :Idunno:

Eyessoblue

Good luck hope, that inner critic is such an annoyance, when I was having Cbt my counsellor said to me, ok when your inner critic comes up and tells you all these bad things argue with it, tell it it's talking no sense and you're fine as you are etc, this did work for me and the inner critic started to get smaller and smaller, if it did arise I'd tell it where to go and I'm not listening, it worked quite well, maybe you could try that too.

Kat

Hope, sorry to hear you're experiencing this.  I know how awful and hard to ignore inner critics can be.  Eyessoblue, thanks for sharing your experience.  I'm going to try it myself.  I've been in a battle with my own inner critic for days now.  I'm tired of it.  Sounds powerful.

Hope66

Hi Eyessoblue,
Thank you so much for your comment, and it was very helpful to read what you said - I was able to try to do this, and it has helped - so thank you.   :)

Hi Kat,
Thank you so much for your reply - and I'm sorry to hear you've also been battling with your own inner critic for the past few days - I hope that you also found Eyessoblue's suggestion helpful - it has helped me.  I hope it helps you too.

Thankfully my inner critic has abated - it was chronic last night.  I am relieved it is less today. 

Hope  :)

Dee

I am all about talking back to myself.  When my critic is loud I try to wake up my inner supporter.  That way I have someone sticking up for me.

DecimalRocket

I'm glad your inner critic has weakened. I know how it's a relief for me to have a break from it, or at least not be as affected by it.  :hug:

Hope67

Hi Dee,
Thanks for mentioning about your Inner supporter - that's a good thing to consider - I will think about that.

Hi Decimal Rocket,
Yes, my inner critic weakened - still makes an appearance most days - and interesting that whenever I write a bit more in the forum, it tends to pop out and give me some grief, but I'm trying to ignore it.   :)

:grouphug:

Hope67

Everytime - well, nearly everytime I write something about my FOO, and express my feelings about them, then my Inner Critic starts to give me a lot of flack - as if it's shouting at me - telling me off, making me feel 'bad' - very annoying!  So I say that I feel  :pissed: about that - better out than in.  I keep telling myself that. 

I have cried a few tears, and now I'm just feeling tired - worn out with the inner critic berating me for a while - but I've cooked some foods, and it's in the oven - and so soon I will be eating something - and hopefully feeling a bit better.

DecimalRocket

Hi Hope. This was a few days ago so I hope you enjoyed something delicious then. Sometimes it's the simple pleasures that make our day.

Hope you're okay.  :hug:

Hope67

Thanks Decimal Rocket - I wrote this some time ago, and didn't see your reply till today.  Thank you.   :hug:

Hope67

Possible trigger warnings - mentioning things my inner critic have been saying to me today:
Just to say I woke up my inner critic big time by writing a few things today - it's like I am being told off for writing things - it goes right to the core of my being - makes me feel bad - quite powerful in the intensity of it, and makes me want to say 'Give me a break - I don't deserve this' - so I've just come to say that here.

I feel like I'm 'doing things wrong' 'I am taking up too much space in the forum' - people will think bad things of me - stuff like that.

My inner critic was getting at me today for 'not doing enough' 'being a waste of space' 'being pathetic'

Again, I feel part of me is wailing about this, and very upset.  Feeling very emotional.  But it doesn't last.   It's like a whoosh of emotion - and then I feel the inner critic.

Also, I am experiencing tinnitus - and it is getting louder as I think of this. 

Actually I think I feel some anger - that's relatively unusual for me, but it's there.  I feel it.

Maybe that's a good thing.

Eyessoblue

Hi hope, I am an energy healer and find it very interesting when you say you don't want to hear the inner critic and you have tinnitus. In the world of energy healing all ear problems are linked to not wanting to hear something and if you're listening to your inner critic a lot I just wondered if this could well be linked. I wonder if you were to be able to tell your inner critic that you're doing what's helpful to you and to tell it to be quiet and you're not interested in what it has to say if maybe your tinnitus would improve! Just a thought, it's like throat problems are linked to you wanting to be able to express a thought but feeling you're unable to therefore leading to a sore throat etc.

Hope67

Dear Eyessoblue,
Thank you so much for what you wrote here - and my apologies not to have replied till now - the truth is I've read it a couple of times, and it's been very thought-provoking to me, and then I've somehow neglected to reply - but I am doing so today - and I think what you wrote is really interesting and I will try it out.  Thank you.