Deep Dive technique

Started by Contessa, December 19, 2017, 01:58:53 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Contessa

Hello!

A couple of weeks ago a friend of mine talked to me about the Deep Dive technique as a swift strategy for removing yourself from a triggered state.

For example, plunging your face into a bowl of ice water for fifteen seconds as a reverse jolt. There are apparently other, more covert, strategies as I questioned the viability of being able to plunge your face in a bowl of ice water in a professional setting without raising a few eyebrows from colleagues.

I wished I had known about this technique years ago. I tried to research it, but could not find any information.

Does anybody know of this technique?

Blueberry

I have heard of other jolts e.g. biting on hot chili pepper. From what I remember from inpatient settings, people who tend towards self-harm should avoid these types of methods for coming back out. I'm not implying you do, Contessa, just saying for anybody else reading.

Contessa

That's a very good point. I didn't think of it from that angle. And no I did not take that as implying I self harm blueberry :)
I had just never ever heard of this, and would love to read up on what it is.
It just dawned on me that reading, reading, reading factual texts is one of my salving strategies, ha

radical

Hi Contessa,

I find exercise, particularly climbing a steep hill, helps.  Getting the pulse up, putting a healthy strain on the body, can help dissipate the worst effects.  One of the most important things for me is to move and keep moving.  It is the hardest thing to do because, for me there is something paralysing about EF and there is a wall of fear around doing anything at all.  I need to push through that and do the opposite when I feel the most compelling need to stay still.  It's not easy.

Thank you for sharing about ice water.  I dont keep ice in the fridge, but could start.  I wonder if a quick cold shower could help?.

It's nice to see you around again.  It's funny to feel an absence when someone goes away, even if you are just reading and not commenting, as I was for a while.  I feel for you with what has happened.  Life is so damn unfair - the only justice for us may be learning to recognise the signs of danger at the earliest stages.  Not everyone learns that.

Contessa

Been missing you too Rad! Very happy to be chatting with you again!

I've never tried any of these techniques, never heard of them. My triggers were always in public with friends, shopping, work... so sticking my face in a bowl of ice water is never feasible. I think my friend mentioned chilli, or chewinf a lemon wedge...

Cold shower sounds good, particularly in this heat wave we're having!
I was just wondering where I could find more scientific based information about this. The theory, tests... etc. To understand it better. Can't find anything at all as yet.

Yeah I have certainly learned those signs! Thank you for the education last year. Have had a much better year this year, and am no longer in that environment, so moving forward! :)

How are you Radical?