Forwards and backwards steps

Started by Gromit, December 22, 2017, 06:57:18 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Gromit

So proud of myself at the start of the week, as I went into the counselling room my counsellor said 'oh for goodness sake' to her phone. I commented that at least I didn't assume she was talking about me, as I often would conclude that if I heard that comment close to me. It gave her pause for thought, she realised what these phrases that just slip out can mean and said she would try not to do such a thing again, with any clients.

Then, last night I was going to attend something for the Winter Solstice. Then a message came that the organisers were hoping to see me there. I did a no show at the last one. Immediately I wondered why they wanted me to be there, what were they going to do? Which I tried to talk myself out of, because I could only think negatively about it.

I know this is a process that won't ever go away,but I wish I could be more comfortable with other people, and social situations. Perhaps the reason I've been feeling more on top of it is just because I am not in situations which challenge me much now.

I still went last night, it was 90 minutes of yoga, and partaking of nibbles afterwards, and I felt great today for having gone.

G

Blueberry

:cheer: :cheer: :cheer: for going to winter solstice anyway and for speaking up to your counsellor!

Gromit

Thanks Blueberry, yes, my counsellor was concerned some time ago about my safety as she realised I might not speak up if I was uncomfortable there, not that she intended me harm, but it was a worry for her that I wouldn't say if I had been.

I also pointed out that she need not even say those words, some clients could pick up the feeling and take it personally.

G