Stayed Sober!

Started by Kat, December 25, 2017, 09:30:29 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Kat

It's now been over a week since my last binge drinking episode.  I did have two beers yesterday.  I was planning to avoid any and all alcohol.  I was at a party with family and decided to have the beers.  I realize I was playing with fire, but I was sure to stop well before I headed home so that I wouldn't be tempted to stop for more beer on the way home.  Now I just need to get through this evening with family without resorting to old, unhealthy habits. 

BTW, It's also the second year in a row that I've gotten up Christmas morning without a hangover! 

Rainagain

Well done Kat,

Really glad you stayed strong, you should feel proud of yourself.

Great job.

Three Roses

silver_lining

:applause:  :cheer: :applause:
Proud of you Kat, your strength is shining through.

Kizzie

:cheer:  and  :applause:  Kat, great Christmas present to yourself  :thumbup:

Blueberry

Kat

Thank you, everyone!  I made it through Christmas day without getting sloshed.  I was with family, so that's always difficult.  I had a couple of beers, but then put the brakes on.  Fortunately, when I got home, I was sleepy enough just to head to bed without having to deal with obsessive thoughts about alcohol. 

I would love to say my strength is what's getting me through, but I'm not sure about that.  I feel more like I've just been extra lucky not being pestered with obsessive thoughts while also fighting insomnia.  Whatever it is, I'll take it.

sanmagic7

well done, kat, and i'll second the 'whatever it is'.  it could even be that you've come so far in recovery that you don't want to harm yourself in the same way.  who knows?  whatever it is, you done good, kiddo.  big hug.

Eyessoblue

Hi kat, just wondered how you're doing on the no alcohol side of things, I'm now 7 weeks sober and I know how hard it is, hope you're doing ok.

Hope67

Quote from: Eyessoblue on February 07, 2018, 10:35:05 AM
I'm now 7 weeks sober

Well done Eyessoblue, on being sober for 7 weeks, that is fantastic.   :cheer:

Kat - hope you are ok and wishing you well - great that you got through Christmas so well - I know that's a long while ago now, but hope it's still going well for you regarding the alcohol side of things.  Take care.
Hope  :)

Kat

Hi all!  It's interesting the you brought this thread back to life, Eyessoblue and Hope.  I haven't been doing so well.  I started to sort of spiral after Christmas, and my drinking picked up.

My T recently got in touch with another T who is an expert on harm reduction--harm including alcohol and drug abuse.  He noticed that AA/12-Step & SMART Recovery don't work for everyone and started to look at that more closely and what to do about it.  The idea behind the harm reduction is to observe and postpone, and to be compassionate with yourself when you do drink more than you'd intended (he doesn't call for absolute abstinence).

Last Monday was the first day we really looked at what she'd learned from the other T.  I had wanted to make it a goal not to drink until Friday.  My T suggested I aim a little lower and allow myself two drinks on Wednesday.  I ended up drinking every day except Wednesday.  So, yeah, that's something to note. 

Today we're going to really look at the parts of me that do not want to give up drinking and who would rather drink myself into oblivion at night.

Baby steps.  This all calls for practice, and practice I shall.  Thanks for asking.   :hug:

sanmagic7

practice, and may i add, patience.  with the process of exploration, and with yourself.

we all have reasons that we do harmful things to ourselves.  if we can get down to those reasons, i believe we have a chance of altering the behavior.

interesting that you drank the days you weren't going to, but abstained on the day you were given 'permission' to drink.  any adolescent rebellion going on there?  just a thought.

best to you with this, kat.  alc is a painkiller, an inhibition/fear eraser, and a reality changer at its heart.  abstinence works for some, like me, but not necessarily for everyone.  i give you so much credit for digging into this.  big hug, sweetie.  i have no doubt you'll get there.

Blueberry

Yes, Kat, baby steps and practice and finding what's behind it.

My problem isn't alcohol, it's eating (or sometimes not eating). For a good few years I went to OA and for some time I managed to hold myself rigidly to non-addictive eating, but the energy I was expending on that didn't allow me to do anything else. 12 Steps no longer work for me to avoid eating.  My T also stresses compassion towards oneself.

I wish you the best with this!  :hug:

Eyessoblue

Hi kat, sorry to hear this, it's so hard isn't it and blueberry mine is eating also but I do seem 'somehow' to have that under control. I think self compassion does play a big part and if you're like me then you probably don't have any!
I'm having help with that tho through therapy and it is making a difference in how I'm feeling about myself.
Thank you hope for your kind words.