I remember more

Started by Sceal, December 28, 2017, 09:49:21 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Sceal

A few months ago my T brought up the fact that I rarely could tell her what I had been doing the last week since our last sessions. Or that I couldn't remember why I had been feeling such big amounts of emotions on the score card. So we delved into the world of dissociation.
I was to practice to be more present. To write down how present I had been for the day. Some days were left blank, some with a questionmark. But steadily the number from 0-5 increased. (5 being present all the time, or most of the time).  I still fade away, or rather there are still gaps in my everyday life I don't recall. I struggle to remember which day it is and such. And I have to write down cheat words for what happened on which day. To sort it out.

But, and I know I should celebrate this, I am more aware of the things going on around me. I don't automatically "flee" mentally as I've been prone to. But there are times where I dearly wish I could just escape from.  :Idunno:

BlancaLap

Well done! Being present is the first step.

woodsgnome

I've encountered the same situation in therapy. I start dissociating, but lately I've begun noticing better when I'm doing so. At first it felt like I'd failed, that I reverted back to my inner defense rather than 'stay with the present', and apologized for bailing out, as it were.

My T indicates she feels it's a huge positive sign that I'm beginning to recognize when I start doing this. She has reassured me that it's normal for trauma survivors to dissociate, that I do it to feel safe--but that it's part of my old story; I don't have to stay so hidden anymore. I'm still a bit freaked that I can so easily dissociate, but it's why I'm in therapy to begin with--to go deep within and find a way to live with and be kind to myself.

I hope you can begin to be okay with this, too.  :hug:

DecimalRocket

That's great news, really. Dissociation can be tough. Even if it's not perfect, it's great that you're improving.

To me, it feels somehow like being pulled away in the atmosphere, like a balloon that was let go into the sky. Rising and rising slowly into the sky, farther away from being grounded. Until I suddenly pop under the heat of the sun in grieving.

The emotions I regain can be strange, alien, to me somehow. But when I dissociate, somehow I still want them back. To be grounded.

Well, I'm cheering you on Sceal.  :cheer:

Sceal

It's annoying that I remember so little from my life.
And that some memories I only hold because people have told me of the events. Or because I've seen the portrayed in pictures.
I know I should be happy I remember more on a daily basis.
But at the same time, I don't like it. I guess, it's because it's new. And because change is scary.

BlancaLap

Quote from: Sceal on December 29, 2017, 09:18:55 PM
It's annoying that I remember so little from my life.

I understand what you say, it's the same for me, but when I remember I wish I had not done it lol (sorry for my english)

Sceal

I can understand that, BlancaLap. There is much I don't want to remember. But I do hope there's much I could remember without any fear too.

BlancaLap

Quote from: Sceal on December 31, 2017, 08:33:01 AM
But I do hope there's much I could remember without any fear too.

Same