Privacy of forum

Started by Gromit, January 10, 2018, 06:48:11 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Gromit

I recently looked at the HAVOCA site and that does not allow anyone to view the forum posts without being logged in. I can view posts here on OOTS without being logged in. Which saves me logging in if I just want to check replies. However, some may prefer the extra security of not being seen by anyone who hasn't joined.

Of course, there may be a good reason for this and it may not be changeable, I just wondered about the different setups. HAVOCA is quite annoying in that if you navigate the wrong way you are automatically logged off.

G

Sceal

I've thought about this. A part of me would like the forum to be closed. At least parts of it. But that might be because my need of anonymity and paranoia.

But then I thought, it doesn't really take much to make an account, anyone can.

And then another thought occured to me, it might be helpful for people to read parts of the forum. At least the parts that promote learning and understanding for those who are seeking knowledge.

p.s what is HAVOCA? I've not heard of it.

Gromit

https://www.havoca.org
Help for Adults of child abuse, Kizzie posted a link a while back as I think it is UK based.

For me it helps to look at the forum, to see if I belong. Having to become a member of the above site in order to see if the forum was helpful was annoying.  I think on OOTS we are all keen to protect ourselves so don't post anything likely to identify us, even if outsiders see it, so I like being able to look, free to login if I wish to comment.

That above forum did have some parts which are special access only as well. Only the title is visible to ordinary members.
G

Kizzie

Hi Gromit and Sceal - Good questions and comments, tks!  :thumbup:   

FYI we do want people to be able to read without signing in (spread the word, raise awareness), and this is why we recommend strongly that no-one include personal info in their profile and/or posts.  Actually, the only required 'personal' info in the profile is an email address and only the Admin/Mod Team has access to this (we don't even use this except in very unusual circumstances).  Many members choose to use an email that does not reveal anything about them (e.g., first/last name) to maintain confidentiality/privacy.

Hope this helps  :)

ah

Just my two cents.

I like the fact that the forums are open, even though it definitely requires more awareness from me when I post. I couldn't agree more that closing them would be easier for me, this way with them open I have to be more cautious not to share personal information that might let my abusers find / hurt me further.

But I remember reading here on the forums something about how sadly, we seem to know more about cptsd than the therapists / researchers, how we've become the experts on cptsd whether we like it or not.
I think the goal of raising awareness of cptsd is just so important and so good that I'm completely on board with leaving them open.

Contessa

Had I not been able to read a few posts when I first found this site, I would never have signed up.

I do understand protection of identity and anonymity. However to be able to see how nurturing members of this forum can be -  where online interactions generally are anything but in todays social climate - may be a large factor in the decision to join.

It was scary to make that first post, but I received nothing other than warm welcomes. Reading a few posts helped cross that bridge.

Blueberry

Quote from: Contessa on January 11, 2018, 12:34:54 PM
Had I not been able to read a few posts when I first found this site, I would never have signed up.

I do understand protection of identity and anonymity. However to be able to see how nurturing members of this forum can be -  where online interactions generally are anything but in todays social climate - may be a large factor in the decision to join.

That is/was all similar for me too.

Contessa

I could imagine for many of us, given the disrespect we already encounter face to face, we need to make sure it isn't the same online.