Saw a new doctor today

Started by Gromit, January 10, 2018, 05:46:11 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Gromit

Actually he was in training and had another doctor there as a witness. I am sure they thought I was one of those people who read stuff online and think they have whatever they have read about.

It may not have helped that, when asked what I do, for a job, I revealed that sometimes Doctors send patients to me and I wonder if the doctor has any actual experience of what I do. But, I was ready to leave then, with my script, come back in 4 months, or 6, so keen to get rid of me. Happy for me to be another person on long term anti-depressants, finding my own T as they don't have much else to offer me, except the number for 'Let's Talk' the latest NHS Mental Health scheme. 

Perhaps I am being overly negative, he may just go away and look up C-PTSD and so may the other GP, although I have already sent the downloads found on this site to the surgery.

Have a belly ache now, wonder if it was the stress of the appointment.

Just remembered I am having a telephone interview with someone from MQ tomorrow, with a view to using my story in their material. I checked I can see the article before it goes live and it can be anonymous. Not looking forward to going through it again, although they already have some ideas from what I have told them and it won't be face to face, with a witness.

Maybe some of this will move things along and further knowledge here, I hope so.

Rainagain

Hi

With the time pressure on GP appointments I'm not surprised they push you out the door with a prescription.

My psych has done the same, and he is private......

Don't let it get to you, I know its hard to accept, we can only keep positive and press on toward recovery.

sigiriuk

Hi
The NHS culture cannot manage Trauma very well. It is painful for therapists to work in this area. Many people can't hold ideas like we experienced for too long. Rates of burnout is high.
It's also expensive and time consuming, and it's so much easier to to call us Borderline PD, or Emotionally Unstable PD. They can then say we have bad behaviour...and will give us meds.

Only the very enlightened can see cPTSD for what it is, and if you find a doctor who understands that, well you have hit the jackpot.

Slim

Rainagain

I'm off to see my psych tomorrow.

I just hope I can get pushed out the door in half an hour without meds, the last meds were damaging, although I wasn't keen on the idea I got convinced to take them.

He has literally nothing in his bag of tricks that can help me, I know this but its hard to resist an offer of help even if its next to impossible that it will work out.

Erebor

Hello Gromit.  It's sounds very brave of you to have agreed to give an interview, I wish you all the best with it.

Regarding the NHS, to me they seem to have very little in the way of meaningful support when it comes to mental health (certainly when it comes to CPTSD).  Seems more about fixing people up with plasters and getting them out of the door.  Slim put it very well.

Quote from: Rainagain on March 13, 2018, 10:33:12 PM
I'm off to see my psych tomorrow.

I just hope I can get pushed out the door in half an hour without meds, the last meds were damaging, although I wasn't keen on the idea I got convinced to take them.

He has literally nothing in his bag of tricks that can help me, I know this but its hard to resist an offer of help even if its next to impossible that it will work out.

Rainagain, that's the tricky bind of it all, isn't it? Needing/wanting help but the only thing the official lines of support can offer are things that aren't really helpful.  Although a supportive GP with no solutions is better than a dismissive one.