Is it helpful to re-watch something that originally was traumatic? (a film)

Started by Hope67, January 15, 2018, 11:19:28 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Hope67

I remember watching a film when I was very small - and the content of the film was extremely scary to me - I have recently googled to see if I can find out what the film was, and I think it was called 'The Old Dark House', and I think it was the 1963 version of that film - as I recognised the actress Joyce Grenfell's picture from some slides online.

Unfortunately it says that the DVD won't play on most versions of UK DVDs, so I'm not going to order it from America or Canada (which seem to be the only places that stock it on Amazon).

But in anycase, I'm wondering if it would be 'beneficial' to watch it again now as an adult - my partner thinks it might help me, and it's been me who has been wondering about this - because I just think it might help me to watch it as an adult and to tell myself, and my inner children, that it's nothing to be frightened of now.

I just wondered what you think - so anyone reading this, please let me know what you think. 

However, as I said before, I don't think I can get hold of that film in anycase - so it is probably not going to happen, that I'll be able to watch it again...

Hope  :)

Three Roses

I think if you feel it might benefit you, why not give it a try? Iss it available on Netflix?

Mussymel

Hope I don't know whether watching it again will help you but I wanted to let you know that many DVD players can be made region free and so will play dvds from the US also. Google how to make DVD player region free and see if you can get the instructions for your model. I know we were able to do that years ago and brought home loads of dvds from the States where they were cheaper. This was before the days of internet streaming.

Blueberry

It might be helpful. I'd be cautious though and make sure you are in control now, so as not to get retraumatised. So being in control would mean to me that I have the ability to stop the film any time it gets too much. I wouldn't feel I have to force myself through it because someone else in room wants to continue watching.

I might have to stop the film to explain something to ICs, or it might just be OK to be doing a running dialogue with them.

ah

In my experience, imagining it can be just as powerful as doing it sometimes. It brings up all the emotions all over again.

Personally, I wouldn't watch it but maybe it's because I have lots of things to use that help me understand my fear. Also, I find that just feeling fear by itself weakens me. I feel stronger when I'm able to acknowledge my fear while feeling grounded, and in some control. It can still be painful but then it can become bearably painful, workably painful, as opposed to paralyzingly painful.

If you feel it might help you then I agree with every word Blueberry wrote, if I were you I might try it cautiously, making sure I felt in control of the situation (which is the opposite of traumatizing) and had the curiosity and courage to explore my emotions, negative ones included.

Hope67

Thank you so much everyone for all your replies.  It is very heartening to read them, and I appreciate your replies.

Three Roses - I don't think the version I need is on Netflix, but that was a great option to try.  Thank you for suggesting it.

Mussymel - that is a great suggestion which I will look into - thank you. 

Blueberry - Definitely helpful to consider my inner children and how they might feel - and I will certainly think carefully of that when and if I do get to watch that film.  Thank you.

Ah - thank you so much for your reply, and your thoughts - they are helpful to me. 

My overall conclusion at the moment is that I think I will order an American version of the film, and try to adapt my DVD player so I can watch it, and I'll make sure I feel more 'in control' - and 'safe' whilst I watch it, and will just be very careful about the whole situation.

***Potential Triggers - mentioning nightmares, screaming but nothing graphic ***

I think part of the whole thing is that I can't remember entirely what it was within the film that was so distressing - there are certain images which are graphic in my mind - and I know there was lots of other stuff going on at home with dysfunctional stuff in my FOO - so really the effects afterwards of weeks of not sleeping in my bedroom etc (as a small child), and screaming and nightmares about it - I've attributed some of that to the film, but maybe it's not as scary as it came across to my little 'inner me' at the time. 
*** End of trigger warning.

Anyway, thank you again everyone for your replies.  I'll let you know how I get on, if I do get to watch the film.

Hope  :)