Racing thoughts

Started by sigiriuk, January 25, 2018, 12:12:44 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

sigiriuk

Dear All
I have been lying in bed trying to get to sleep. Have lots of racing thoughts, so I thought i would try to calm myself down.
But i don't know how to....I was never taught how to...no-one recognised or chose to teach me when i was little.
Tried acknowledging that i am scared, and telling myself that "I am safe now", "no-one will hit me, speak nasty to me, or touch me in funny places".
Unfortunately it didn't go as planned because i had flashbacks to times when i was little, and there was no-one there to comfort me.

I don't want a drink to calm my nerves...that just makes things worse....and don't want to smoke the Funny Stuff....cos the next day, I am all over the place.
Thought i'd write down my thoughts here.
But maybe if I practice being kind and reassuring to myself, i will get better at it.......and it's cheaper than drink or drugs too!

Insomniac-ally yours
Slim

Rainagain

Hi slim,

I get this so often.

I don't find I can control it so I tend to accept it, I get up for a bit and try again later, I read a book or whatever.

Sometimes I just realise that I won't sleep at all, I nap the next day instead (I don't work).

Sorry you are suffering this. Its hard.

sigiriuk

Quote from: Rainagain on January 25, 2018, 10:30:18 AM
I don't find I can control it so I tend to accept it, I get up for a bit and try again later, I read a book or whatever.

Learning to accept it sounds like the key here.
Thx for the tip
Slim