Started reading Dr Susan Clancy's book on CSA (Potential Triggers - CSA).

Started by Hope67, January 02, 2018, 07:51:00 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Hope67

Hi - I have just started reading "The Trauma Myth: The Truth About the Sexual Abuse of Children and its Aftermath" which I heard about following one of Andy's posts - thank you Andy.

Just wanted to say that I've only read a small part, and I was in tears when I read this sentence: "After more than three decades of silence, Frank was ready to talk" (referring to a person who was sexually abused as a child, and had plucked up the courage to participate in Dr Clancy's research on CSA - just that sentence - mentioning the 3 decades of 'silence' - it made me cry and shudder from the inside out - it reminded me of something that Levine had written in his book about 'waking the Tiger' - where the body can really react - it felt like a primal reaction in myself.  It was powerful.

The other thing I realised was that a huge part of me was 'afraid' to read this book - I've avoided books on CSA for much of my life - and then started to read many books - about Complex PTSD and also CSA - and I was reminding myself that my Big Mama Bear was there if I felt afraid - Wife2 helped me find Big Mama Bear - she is helpful to me. 

However, I've stopped reading now, because I need to protect myself and read at a pace that feels ok. 

I hope this is the right place to put this post - but if you'd rather it was in the Sexual Abuse section, please do move it - if you want to. 

I just wanted to start this thread here so I could put any comments about the book and any issues that come as I read it - and I hope that others will feel ok to contribute and reply as they want to - I value replies, and am interested to hear people's thoughts.

Hope  :)

Hope67

I have completed the book - I'm glad I read it.  It was validating at many levels, but it also brought up some strong feelings and some queries too.  I wish I could articulate my thoughts - but I feel over-whelmed to know where to start in terms of encapsulating what I thought of the book - I'm glad to have read it - I think the researcher tried her best to research the subject in a professional and sensitive manner.  I related to many things that were said by the people who participated in her research.  But I also sense that for me personally, I relate more to the 'complex PTSD' umbrella of experience - I know I saw some things that were traumatic - whilst I was a young child - and I've not 'remembered' those things clearly - my sister substantiated that for me - as she mentioned things that happened to her - and told me I was in ear-shot and quite often was around to 'see' what was happening - that's in addition to my own issues and experiences.  Hence I do wonder about repressed memories and whether these will surface at a later date.

Anyway, I'm not sure what else to say for now, except that I do think the book is one worth reading.  So thank you, Andy for recommending it.

Hope  :)