NSAIDS sometimes helpful?

Started by Gwyon, February 16, 2018, 02:44:08 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Gwyon

I have sometimes found that taking an NSAID -- for headache, muscle pain, etc -- will also ease my anxiety/depression.  There is evidence that there is an inflammatory aspect to effects of childhood trauma. Has anyone else experienced this effect of NSAIDS?

Dee

I have not experienced it, but I can see how reducing inflammation would help anxiety.

sanmagic7

absolutely.  my nsaid of choice is ibuprofen, which is anti-inflammatory.  i will often get flu-like symptoms, including low-grade fever, tightness around my eyes, and a general miserable feeling when i'm stressed.  taking ibu has helped me feel better within 20 min. or so.

i didn't know about the connection in the past between stress and an inflammatory response, but i've had this kind of stress flu reaction for more than 20 yrs. and an advil would always help.  i kind of stumbled upon it in the dark, so to speak, but now i always keep ibu with me just in case.  it has worked miracles for me.

as a pos. side effect, it also helps with my chronic back pain when i take it.  i don't doubt there are still a lot of emotions hanging around back there, angry ones, that inflame my muscles.  haven't gotten to them yet, don't know if i can, but it's nice to have some relief especially after they've flared up, which they do on occasion.

i don't take them every day - they can be hard on the liver  and stomach - but i'm so glad they're there when i need them.  you are not alone in this, gwyon.  warm, healing hug to you.

Gwyon

Thx, sanmagic7. Useful to get corroboration. ;-)

I learned about it from a book "Childhood Disrupted" by Donna Jackson Nakazawa. She's basically talking about c-ptsd, but calls it something else.

miaoue

Gwyon, fascinating that you feel a psychological impact from nsaids. sounds like you are definitely not the only one. i recently heard about this study where the researchers found acetaminophen had an effect on purely emotional pain: http://dept.wofford.edu/neuroscience/NeuroSeminar/psfSpring2013/DeWall.pdf

i'm so curious about the implied link between the parts of the brain processing physical pain and emotional pain...or perhaps it's the same part, which was simply "repurposed" from feeling physical pain to experiencing painful emotions?

Gromit

I take Turmeric, which is supposed to help with inflammation. Not because I have inflammation, as such, but I have had an elevated Rheumatoid Arthritis level & believe inflammation is caused by what I have experienced. Not sure if it works or not, but I don't get joint pain.

Otherwise I tend to take generic ibuprofen rather than Nurofen as it is cheaper & I found the Nurofen had other effects on me when I took it for toothache.