Flashbacks lead to real-time hallucinations

Started by CrashPhenomena, February 21, 2018, 10:12:30 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

CrashPhenomena

!  TRIGGER WARNING !

I see flashbacks on the regular, but sometimes after I experience a flashback I start hallucinating as if I'm back where an event happened. For example, I'll see a replay of a man beating me and then after the flashback I will be in the house where it happened, or that man will be standing in-front of me, until I recognize it'm hallucinating.

Is there some connection? Or is my mind just freaking out and causing more problems?

Is having both these symptoms the way I have them normal?

Three Roses

I've had flashbacks so strong that I've been confused about where I really (physically) was. These were always during times when I've been super stressed and suffering an EF (emotional flashback). That being said, no one here is qualified to tell you if it's part of CPTSD or symptomatic of something else. However, I think it's fairly common among us survivors of abuse. Hopefully others will weigh in here, too. Try this article on emotional flashbacks - https://www.thebestbrainpossible.com/is-your-amygdala-hijacking-your-life/

Dee

I have had this happen before.  I don't know exactly what it was.  I wasn't sure if I was hallucinating or having a flashback.  The only thing I can think of was it was somewhere in the middle.  For me it started in the middle of the night and I was unable to get out of bed until the afternoon.  It isn't a good experience, but from what you describe you are not alone.

Blueberry

I've had hallucinations too, after I was badly retraumatised. I 'saw' people who weren't there. I even spoke to them. There was a witness to this, otherwise I wouldn't know. I was in a huge flashback the whole time. I mostly didn't know who I was or where or why. (That's why I was being accompanied.)

this_evening_so_soon

I have experienced the same thing. I've had emotional flashbacks since childhood, but this stuff started after I left a long-term DV situation. If I was startled or caused unexpected pain or even got enough into the same scared and submissive mindset I had back then, I would sort of segue into seeing stuff around me like it was in a particularly scary scene from before. Sometimes it'd be like I had one foot in the past and one in the present. In my case, I think it's the kind of flashback one gets from regular PTSD, where there's imagery and space/time confusion stuff.

Anyway, it does feel just like hallucinating and it's very scary. I'm sorry you've been experiencing it. I've noticed I can sometimes cut it off before it really gets started by repeatedly reminding myself where I am with proof and questioning (look at a calendar, ask what year stuff happened, look at a plant, ask when I got it, ask what year stuff happened).

Elphanigh

I have gotten those too, matter fact had a bit of one yesterday. Had to remind myself where I was or I would have lost myself in it. I think it is pretty common in trauma survivors, from what I can tell by being here and talking to other people in my life. You are definitely not alone

ah

Quote from: this_evening_so_soon on February 27, 2018, 08:30:08 PM
In my case, I think it's the kind of flashback one gets from regular PTSD, where there's imagery and space/time confusion stuff.

I think so too, it happens to me when I'm triggered really badly. I think the line between regular ptsd and cptsd isn't totally clear yet, or maybe there isn't that much of a distinction in real life? I don't know. In my experience, some triggers can cause very strong physical flashbacks and others can cause very strong emotional flashbacks. When I'm really "lucky" I get both at the same time  :doh:

You're definitely not alone. I know how scary these can be, I'm sorry you go through them too.

Dee

The definition of CPTSD is the symptoms of PTSD plus additional symptoms.  It definitely makes sense.  I get flashbacks, too often.