Frustration with medications

Started by arlibguy, March 07, 2018, 01:23:56 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

arlibguy

All:

My therapist has given me a diagnosis of C-PTSD. I have been on a merry-go-round of medications for years, with the only thing really working being ECT when I was extremely low.

Currently I am on these psychotropic drugs:

Lamictal 300 mg (morning)
Cymbalta 60 mg (morning)
Wellbutrin XL 150 mg (morning)
Klonopin 1 mg (twice a day - AM + PM)
Clonodine .1 mg (night)
Seroquel - 25 mg (night)

Since moving to Pennsylvania, I have dealt with two Physician Assistants. At least the one PA consulted with the psychiatrist yesterday...after our visit and while I was sitting in the hall.

The PA and Psychiatrist think I need sleep, which I agree, but I explained my mind is constantly racing and I am on edge all the time. They finally lowered the Wellbutrin since that can cause issues. I do not have sleep apnea. I woke up woozy from the Seroquel but I can cut that in half.

I'm aggravated because of all of these different medications. They keep kicking the can down the road. According to the VA guidelines, Effexor is highly recommended. I am receiving weekly therapy.

It seems the psychiatrist/psychiatry staff here aren't really listening and I'm on my second round of psychiatry providers, which is frustrating.

I have been on all kinds of medicines alone and in combination but I can't remember which combinations. Yesterday, the Physician Assistant told me that the meds will only address the physiological issues and that my deep-seeded PTSD is something else that therapy can address. I told her my mind is always racing and it is unbearable.

I know you cannot give medical advice but the pharmacist said I could try weaning myself off Cymbalta and Wellbutrin by taking it every few days. The Lamictal and Klonopin are something else.

Most of this is venting but I need some suggestions. It seems a lot of these psychiatrists are not familiar with C-PTSD and won't bother looking at the VA Guidelines for PTSD treatment -- which I did print out for the PA and Psychiatrist. I am scheduled to see the psychiatrist (not PA) since I requested a switch in a few weeks.

Thanks in advance for listening and any suggestions you have.

A frustrated C-PTSD sufferer.  :stars:

Dee

Welcome.

When I started reading this I thought it must me the VA, but I was surprised that Trazadone wasn't on your list.  I thought everyone with any type of PTSD gets Trazadone from the VA, sleep candy. 

I've been on cymbalta, wellburtrin, seroquel (and more) and I still take clonadine.  The seroquel and clonodine in addition to trazadone were all for sleep.  However, I have been unable to tolerate many of the VA's meds.  My psychiatrist worked to get me on trintellix.  Because of the cost it required special approval.  I really like it, my sleep is better and I don't have crazy side effects.  So now it is trintellix, clonadine, and trazadone.  I also have visteral as need for anxiety.  It took two years to find the right combination.  Now I am happy with my meds.  They seem to work and I don't have crazy side effects.

The medications finally got me to a place that I can work in therapy.  I got lucky with my psychiatrist, he is really good, but not before I had a really bad one.  It was my therapist who intervened to get me a provider that was a good fit.  My therapist is the person who is in charge of all my care.  She communicates really well with my other providers.

My providers know CPTSD and gave me the diagnosis.  It was actually my therapist who advocated for me to get the correct support.  Do you have the correct therapist?  My case was so complex that I see a psychologist and I am not in the PTSD clinic.  I required someone with more knowledge and turns out had more influence.  I was fortunate enough not to have to advocate for that. 

I don't know if this helps.  This is my experience and I am doing well with my treatment.

arlibguy

Thanks for sharing your feedback, Dee.

I was on Trazadone a while back, but I don't remember what in combo with. The problem I have is racing thoughts and I am in constant "flight-flight-freeze" mode. My mind doesn't turn off. I took the 25 mg of Serzone and I am a bit of a zombie. I called the nurse and asked the doc to see if I can get 12.5 mg tabs. The 25 mg tabs are too small to be split.

How do you function during the day?

I'll have to ask about Trintellex. My partner has had good luck with Effexor and Buspar and also sees a VA doc.

Dee

Now, I have no issues during the day.  Also all my meds are in the evening so I don't have to worry about taking meds throughout the day.  I just take everything at once when I go to bed. 

Before we got my meds straight I couldn't function at all.  Still, I had a good psychiatrist and he kept seeing me weekly until it was straight.  As soon as I got side effects he would tell me to stop taking it.  He went out of his way for me as did my therapist.  I feel very fortunate to have them.

Blueberry

Welcome arlibguy  :heythere:

I'm sorry that treatment is so frustrating and difficult for you. I hope something better can be worked out. I have no experience with all those medications or the VA, so can't help there.  :Idunno: