Gender Roles - childhood abuse?

Started by LaurelLeaves, March 16, 2017, 04:53:23 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Andyman73

Rowan,
I love aliens!!! Besides my mom never warned me about aliens...for that matter I can't recall her warning me about strangers either. 

Got a question...anyone can answer....I can't ever recall hearing any female version of the phrase "Man up!" I recall being told that many times, usually in a negative light.  Was really bad when I was in the Marines.  Seems to me that I was target of a lot of gender based verbal abuse.  Men seem to think it's perfectly acceptable to insult other men with derogatory remarks questioning their gender and such. Was quit prevalent in the Marines. Lots of other stuff went on there too.

I just don't understand all this. Not about what you were discussing, but about what I did.

I accept you completely as you are. Alien or not.  ;D

Rowan

Hi Andyman,

The phrase you seek is to put on (or pull up) your big girl panties (along with judgy pants and bitchy pants...), and this is what I mean, I am *stuck* in the middle. Neither one thing or the other in mind, and the rest of the world assumes based on appearance, which I can cope with as I have no firm idea about the rest of me either.... to attempt to answer your question indirectly, there are many ways to  cause upset - judgement on clothes, style, fashion, brands, life choices,partnerships etc that are ignored mainly in man space, so to insult and hurt, the insults have to be larger, and more personally challenging - much of that is self generated through the fundamental nature of society at present.

Rowan

Andyman73

Hi Rowan,

Been away, sorry for delay response.  Okay, understand about pulling up big girl/boy pants. One of my female supervisors used that phrase quite frequently, not in a derogatory manner towarsds me, but I am familiar with it.

As far as you personally, and others, I don't understand what the issue is, from outsiders. I think you all are as wonderful as any other. And equally as valuable and worthy of love and acceptance. Sometimes I am confused, but not out of judgement or lack of understanding, but more so from not knowing how to interact when it's not clear.  Maybe I shut up now, cuz I don't know what I saying anymore.