I am on my side.

Started by plantsandworms, March 08, 2018, 08:52:42 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

plantsandworms

Just wanted to share a quote that really helped to clarify things for me in a fragile moment the other day. I was messaging a close friend about some despair and helplessness feelings that were coming up for me as a result of feeling like I wasn't being seen/heard by others when stating my needs. She sent me back this quote to encourage me to continue being my own ally even when others don't/can't/won't:

"With every act of self-care your authentic self gets stronger, and the critical fearful mind gets weaker. Every act of self-care is a powerful declaration: I am on my side, I am on my side, each day I am more and more on my side." - Susan Weiss Berry

sanmagic7

that's a good one.  very timely for me, too, to read that today.  thanks, p & w.

Hope67

Hi plantsandworms,
Thank you for sharing that quote, it is a really helpful one. 
Hope  :)

James

That's a great quote, very helpful for me as well. It may come from Pete Walker's "Shrinking the Inner Critic in Complex PTSD." At the end he offers a  list of 14 common inner critic attacks and healthier thought-substitution responses.
Number 3 begins: "I commit to myself. I am on my side. I am a good enough person. I refuse to trash myself."
That's been very helpful for me.
Original article: http://pete-walker.com/shrinkingInnerCritic.htm