New to CPTSD

Started by Cyd, March 10, 2018, 04:07:59 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Cyd

Hi,
So for a long time I've known that I've struggled with the after effects of my abusive upbringing.
But it's only the last few weeks I have learnt of cptsd.
And it's been a lightbulb moment, reading about it and realising that's me...thats what happened. That's how I feel now.
I'm still so new to this, at 31 I feel like I've finally found something to help me understand myself and my life better.
I've bought Pete Walkers book and have found a counsellor in my area (not plucked up the courage to contact yet).
And in my search I found this forum, thank you for being here.
So hi everyone  :wave:

ah

Hi Cyd  :heythere:
I had a very similar moment, when I found out about cptsd not long ago. (That's my username too, I remember thinking "ah.......")
I'm glad you've found Pete Walker's amazing book and that you're here too.

Libby183

Welcome to OOTS, Cyd.

Just like you, finding out about cptsd was the first step in making sense of everything in my life.

This site has given me so much support and information and I hope that it can do the same for you.

Libby.

Kizzie

Hi Cyd and welcome to OOTS  :heythere:  Like so many others I saw myself in Pete Walker's book CPTSD: From Surviving to Striving so clearly I think because having CPTSD himself he just gets it. I took a lot of heart from the fact that he had found ways for himself and his clients to navigate through the storm and have found it all quite helpful in my own recovery.  He's actually going to be a guest blogger here at OOTS in the next week or two so you can watch for the announcement. 

Glad you found your way here and are going to connect with a therapist, it can all be quite helpful.   :yes:

Cyd

Thank you all for the warm welcome ☺
Yes, Pete's book is really interesting and so glad to find this forum.

Kizzie

Dee