Had a breakthrough in therapy (inner child work)

Started by Eyessoblue, March 28, 2018, 08:49:03 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Eyessoblue

Yesterday I went to my therapy session feeling really low and depressed, we started doing some inner child work and that was when I had a complete breakdown. For the first time in therapy I really cried like I've never cried, I actually felt quite ill by the end of it, I'm not used to crying at all.
My therapist said it's a good thing and for the first time I'm showing self compassion which she said is great, the trouble is now, I really can't stop crying ( next day now) I cried all night and am still crying today, I'm not feeling anything in particular to make me cry as in I have no thoughts with it, I'm just crying. Is this ok? Is this normal?
I would be really interested to hear if anyone else has done inner child work and how it affected them, I've found my son's teddy and I'm cuddling it permanently, feeling as if I've turned back into a child myself. Feeling very vulnerable at the moment.

Hope67

Hi Eyessoblue,
It's good that you had a breakthrough in your therapy - and doing the inner child work.   :hug: to you.  I am also doing some work on connecting with my inner children/wounded parts, via a self-help book and reading things in this forum - and it's made me much more emotional than I was before I started doing it, but at the same time, I am also noticing some 'relaxation' within myself - as if the little ones - all at different ages and states of being, are feeling heard for the first time.  They are gradually sharing more things - like snippets of memory and images and also feelings within my body - and instead of worrying that I've got a physical health problem, I'm thinking the pains are due to unprocessed past trauma - it makes sense.

I really relate to what you said in this post, Eyessoblue - and I also saw your reply to Libby just now, and I also found that very useful to read as well - and thank you for sharing your experiences.

I know you're feeling vulnerable at the moment, but remember that you are safe and cuddling your son's teddy will certainly be a lovely thing for your little inner child - I think so.

:hug: to you, Eyessoblue.
Hope  :)

Eyessoblue

Oh thank you hope, you're comments are always so lovely and helpful, that's just what I needed to hear today especially when I'm feeling so vulnerable. Thank you, I'm glad you're getting somewhere with inner child work too, it's really tough once you're there but I know once I'm over this I'll feel a lot better just got to ride the storm! Hopefully you'll be ok too.

jamesG.1

crying like that is a REALLY good sign. That's the repressed stuff coming up and burning off. It has to happen and it is very good for you. You'll feel weak and fragile for a bit, but afterwards, there will be a definite lightness as you feel the weight lifting. That's weight you've been carrying a long time Hun. Be proud, you are bang on target.

Three Roses

QuoteI'm not feeling anything in particular to make me cry as in I have no thoughts with it, I'm just crying. Is this ok? Is this normal?

This is my goal! I know there is both grief and anger within me, I just need to find a way to tap into it. So happy you're there!  :hug: You are releasing things and I think that's huge.

Eyessoblue

Thank you all,so much much appreciated, yes I believe too it's really huge for me to do this and oh my god do I feel so much better for it, something inside me has finally let go and all those years of built up stress has disappeared completely I feel lighter inside my anxiety feels like it's diminished. My husband who was initially supportive has now gone back to narcissistic mode, but actually that's ok, he is what he is and I am me and sorting my life out tonight has been hard and lack of support from him is expected but again ok, that's what he is and I can and will move on, feeling stronger in me already I will I've forward and I will make it on my own.
Self compassion is amazing and I'm so pleased I've found it, now it's all about ME and ME getting there feeling stronger and happier, if I need to break down and have a melt down then so be it, I actually don't care now and am resisting that temptation to keep being that strong me and getting nowhere with it! Being strong and holding it together is getting me nowhere I need to show everyone i am vulnerable I'm at breaking point, I'm struggling but I am going to make it, onwards and upwards I am my own person I'm responsible for nothing or anyone apart for myself, time to be selfish - maybe or time to just concentrate on me- finally.