YouNg kids and dealing with gifts after NC

Started by Combine59, April 04, 2018, 02:02:38 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Combine59

I've been NC with my parents for three years. I have not seen, contacted, or replied to any letters.
I have two young children (2 and 4), whom at every holiday or birthday they keep sending gifts through various flying monkeys (I.e. great grand parents, sister, or mail). Not A gift. Many gifts. Overwhelming gifts that are so irrelevant because they don't know my kids.

My husband and I agreed since my parents are not in my life that we would donate these gifts. I work at a school with many children in need, so these "gifts" go toward my students. The trouble is, after three years of NC the gifts keep getting more over the top and bigger in quantity. They often come over in bags and I've referred to them as "bags of guilt"  :Idunno:

These gifts tend to be very triggering to my anxiety/cptsd. I thought no response would make them stop, but no dice. It keeps getting worse. I'd rather not reply and break NC, but it's driving me nuts! Any way to deal? Any suggestions for perspective shifts so these gifts aren't so triggering?

Hope67

Hi Combine59,
I just wanted to share some advice that was given to me by a close friend, who, suggested that if I get any 'gifts' or communications from FOO that I didn't wish to respond to (I had been VLC and then NC in the end), that I should just return them unopened to the sender.   

I didn't act on it myself, as my NC has finally been listened to - in that they don't send me anything anymore, and so I didn't need to do it - but I did think it was sensible advice - and would have tried it - if they hadn't stopped sending things.

Maybe that is a way to give the message that you don't want any further 'gifts' and that you're not prepared to enter into breaking your NC either.  I don't know if that is helpful, but I also wanted to say that I can imagine how triggering it is to keep receiving these gifts, and I hope that you can find a way to cope that helps you.

Hope  :)