I don’t know how I did it, but I did!

Started by Jenny Blount, May 09, 2018, 04:37:21 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Jenny Blount

I've written here on other threads about my sickening fear of noise, how it triggers my emotional flashbacks. I have a great deal more understanding now, than I had before. I'd just like to share something I did which was so positive, it really built me up!
I live over the road from a pub. It is fair and reasonable for an 'adult' to expect a certain amount of noise from a pub, even a local country pub, like this one. It's recently changed hands and they celebrated one night with a raucous karaoke party. I was triggered and terrified but knew to react when I was calmer and not in the heat of a flashback.
The next day, although feeling sick, I eventually rang the pub....I'd already worked out how to let them know I'd been kept awake without being unfriendly.
"Bloody *,' I said, 'you guys know how to party!"
He apologised profusely, explained and we got chatting and laughing. Thinking how I could better manage my phobia I suggested that the pub hold a "meet the neighbours' social and he thought it
was a great idea. It was a great success and the pub now has them monthly. I've met my neighbours and made new friends at the pub.
I haven't cured my fear of noise but last month I slept through the karaoke! Albeit wit double glazing ear plugs and a fan BUT it's a massive, massive success!

Kizzie

Nw that's being proactive and some great self-care you got going Jenny -  :applause:   and    :thumbup:    and  :cheer:

sanmagic7

Blueberry

Rainagain