First time, just diagnosed

Started by wasabi, May 17, 2018, 12:01:12 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

wasabi

Hello,

I just went to a therapist for the first time and was diagnosed with CPTSD along with depression and alcohol issues. The CPTSD came as a complete surprise. I thought there was one PTSD and it mainly impacted forward deployed soldiers.

This looks like a really nice forum. I've read through many of the pages as well as the new user guides. I need a little help figuring out where to post: adulthood onset, or childhood onset. Maybe adult onset since it was more recent but some of it goes way back.

Can anyone help me move forward in a way that works for the forum?

Also the verification letters are very frustrating.

Blueberry

:heythere: Welcome wasabi! I'm sorry the verification letters were frustrating. Once you've done them, you don't have to do them again though as far as I know.

Yes, not everybody knows about cptsd. Not even all professionals seem to know so it's good your therapist does. :thumbup:

You can post where you feel more comfortable. However if it goes way back, then probably childhood onset would be appropriate. That's where it started. As for many of us. And then we get retraumatised, continue to get into traumatising situations and relationships, sort of goes with the diagnosis until we reach a certain degree of healing.

This is a very supportive forum, I've thought and experienced that since day one.

If you need more help, just ask. I'm not quite sure what you mean with "help moving forwards in a way that works for the forum". (But I am feeling a bit dopey today.)

Blueberry

Deep Blue

Hey wasabi,
Cool name.  I echo what blueberry said.  Post where you feel comfortable.  Welcome to the forum  :grouphug:

wasabi

Thanks everyone! I participate on other support forums and I've never seen one topic split by age before. It's a neat idea, and since it's so new I wanted to tread carefully.

Blueberry

It was split when mbrs with adult-onset expressed a wish for a separate board because they thought some aspects of childhood-onset didn't affect them. Childhood-onset is a bigger board with more sections and sub sections, in case that appeals. We won't be adding to adult-onset board much if any sections.

But yeah post where comfortable and don't worry.  :)

Sceal

Welcome!
I hope you can find some support here and that this forum will help you progress and heal