celebrity deppression island

Started by jamesG.1, June 09, 2018, 12:00:17 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

jamesG.1

If I see one more person post a "be aware of depression and suicide" on facebook after this two celebrity deaths I'll scream. Too many of these people have actively avoided me in my crisis, and they knew full well what I was going through. Clearly if I was a fashion designer then my phone would be red hot.

rant over

Rainagain

I've heard of a thing called white knighting.

If I understand the expression it means signalling you are a great person by making some easy to do statement, I think there's another expression ' virtue signalling' which is another way to describe empty vapid claims of being decent.

That's what is irritating, its just empty words signifying nothing at all.

The reason people do it might be that they don't realise how pointless it is, how transparent it is.

We may be full of anxiety and struggles with our demons but at least we aren't empty shells making pointless sounds.

I appear to have gone off on one here, I think its something that annoys me.....!

Snookiebookie

My opinion is that it's considered fashionable to post these things.  I wonder how many will think that way in a week, month or year. Or whether they've move on on with the band wagon to the next cause. It's virtue signalling, for sure.

..... Sorry, I'm very cynical. 

Gromit

On Twitter there are also people trying to explain how it is not that easy for people to 'just talk' 'tell someone',  but, yes, there will be those who virtue signal and say how they look out for people.

I had to do 'safe guarding ' courses & what got to me about those, which were in an educational setting, was that they encouraged staff to look for changes in behaviour. Did they not know that some children experience abuse, neglect long before they get to school? That their behaviour is as it is because of it, & it may be quiet & compliant, just the behaviours that professionals don't notice?

Grr

Erebor

The 'talk to someone' thing gets me. Like people don't understand how difficult it is, or that talking may not necessarily help (edit: because talking isn't always the thing needed in a moment of internal difficulty, and if it is needed than the other person needs to be a good person to talk to) - it isn't some kind of wonder pill and it's a lot harder to do than posting something on social media reminding people to somehow have awareness of those around them who are struggling but not telling anyone.

Quote from: Rainagain on June 09, 2018, 01:36:19 PM

I appear to have gone off on one here, I think its something that annoys me.....!

I think I have some annoyance at it, too. I see people I am acquainted with in real life posting these sorts of things on social media, and I can't tell if it's for the benefit of the struggling or the oblivious.  The fact that none of them know what I'm dealing with every day and wouldn't be able help if I did talk about it somehow makes it a bit aggravating. Like they think the struggling are perhaps far away from them.

I think I might be being unfairly harsh, they seem to be decent people, but yes this is something I can get a bit irritated at.

On a different note, James that is far worse than simply seeing something annoying - scream if you need to! People who actively couldn't care less about you when you're in need but then loudly broadcast to all and sundry that they care 'oh so much' about people just like you make me go 'grrr'.