Therapy advice please

Started by Mayflower, June 13, 2018, 08:49:52 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Mayflower

Hi, well I'm still panicking or whatever you call it with K.

I told him succinctly what happened to me and he's suggested I see a therapist...

The problem is, I don't want to go back to talking therapy just for the sake of it - talking (as in Rogerian counselling) doesn't seem to touch me; I need someone or a modality that isn't afraid of making me face my stuff... in a therapeutic manner of course!

The panic is driving me nuts - I've had years of counselling with different therapists and have talking about everything I can (but leave my emotions at the door) and I'm still panicking with a lovely guy with a heart of gold.

If anyone can give me any hints with this, I would really appreciate it.  I haven't been diagnosed with C-PTSD though don't know whether to look for someone who is alright with working with this sort of stuff.

Thanks a lot

Sceal

Perhaps EMDR is something you could consider? I haven't tried it personally, but I know others here have experience with it.
I'm just thinking about it, because I recently read about it in the book "the body keeps the score".
The idea I think is to desensitize memories so that you will be able to incorporate them together with your emotions within you. So that the emotions doesn't overhwelm you when you face them, and also gives you a chance to allow yourself to feel the feelings.

Mayflower

Thanks, I will have a look into it.

sanmagic7

hi, mayflower,

emdr is a trauma-based therapy that is more than a talk therapy.  it is designed to help people's minds re-work traumatic feelings, incidents, thoughts, and memories so as to take away their 'punch'.  it's also technically client-centered, in that you can retain some sense of control about how fast you're going, what you want to work on, etc.

while there is still a history-taking component in the beginning, you don't necessarily have to get into gritty details.  it's basically to let the therapist know where you're coming from so they have a sense of what's been going on in your life and why.  your treatment plan and goals can be gathered in from that.

progressive counting (pc) is another trauma-based model that has brought very good results.   neither of them rely on solely 'talking' your problems to death, but are more interactive.

best to you on finding someone who will help you in the way you need it.  i hope that panic lifts soon.  keep taking care of you as best you can, ok?  sending love and a warm, gentle hug, if you'd like.