Self help/self soothing when triggered/overwhelmed/peopled out?

Started by Snookiebookie, June 21, 2018, 01:35:42 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Snookiebookie

Hi

You know those times that you've just had enough of people. Or when you are super triggered. Or you notice that you've had a cortisol overload and you emotions are running on high alert.  You get the idea?  Well how do you counteract that? How do you unwind? Self soothe?

I do the following (when possible)

* Get some alone/quiet time
* Journal - it helps park all those emotions
* Sleep - it's cheap and can reboot your mind etc
* Get in some comfortable clothes (such as PJs)
* Curl up in a blanket
* Cuddle a hot water bottle
* Essential oils or a nice body lotion (musky fragrances are my fave)
* Herbal teas
* Mindfulness
* A brisky walk
* A shower
* Food/chocolate (although I'm a comfort eater - so this can be a bad habit.
* Listen to music. Classical music is soothing
*Cuddle a soft toy (I don't usually do soft toys, but had my daughter buy me specifically for this reason)
* Stroke my pet cat - or watch cat videos on YouTube
* Post on here

Does anyone have any others that they would like to offer.

I find I can soothe up until a point, but if I at my limit then I simply shut down and nothing works.  Any ideas what to try then.

sanmagic7

going to the healing porch here has helped me many times, especially when my mind needs relaxation before bed.  thinking about people there, the environment, my rocker, the peace and safety does a lot to soothe raw nerves.

Kizzie

Wow, great list Snookie, tks  :) 

I often try to challenge or balance what I am thinking or if I am unable to do so myself I will ask my H to help. I went to him several times this week over the situation in the US with the immigrant children (just had it with people) and that made a difference thankfully.  I also posted here abut how I was feeling and that helped as well.