Struggling to form verbal words and sentences

Started by Rainydaze, July 04, 2018, 08:21:27 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Rainydaze

I was trying to form a sentence today and it just would not come out. I knew what I wanted to say but stumbled over my words. In fact, it wasn't even a long sentence, all I was trying to say was, "That sounds sensible" and I think it just came out as: "Sa sen..."  :stars: I tried twice, realised it wasn't happening and then gave up. It was so frustrating and I felt like a very small child. I'm sure the person I was trying to talk to thought it was bizarre but I'm trying not to think about that too much, it was just such a mental block and I couldn't help it. I have had a horrendous day today emotionally after a stressful day yesterday and I think it's catching up with me. I think this is the worst my speech has ever been though and it came as a shock. :( Anyone else get this? I feel like I would have been better off just staying in bed today.

finallyfree

Hi Blues,
I am so sorry your having a bad day. I have never personally experienced what your describing as far as not being able to form a sentence. I do empathize with you though. If possible go back to bed and rest and turn your mind off for awhile, take a nap. I again am so sorry your going through this and I am sending you a hug and my warmest wishes.  :hug: Take care of yourself and remember tomorrow is a new day. Hope it's a better one.
Finallyfree

Snookiebookie

I get this often.  I can't pronounce my words, they get in the wrong order, I stumble over my words or I stop.mid sentence as I can't remember the word I need. 

I noticed it would happen when I was stressed or pressured. It can also happen when I am overwhelmed or over-stimulated or tired.

I used to be much more bothered by it. And I felt immature because it (I can relate to feeling like a small child because it).  However, I try to accept its part of the anxiety caused by C-PTSD and it seems to happen less now.

Perhaps use it as an indicator that you're feeling overwhelmed and try some self care if possible ( take some time out, have an early night etc). If possible, try not to beat yourself up about it, Other people do this too, it's just that we're more self conscious and filter everything we do, and are more self critical.

Really sorry to hear you've had a bad day.  Sending you hugs.   :bighug:

Blueberry

Quote from: Snookiebookie on July 05, 2018, 01:03:19 AM
I get this often.  I can't pronounce my words, they get in the wrong order, I stumble over my words or I stop.mid sentence as I can't remember the word I need. 

I noticed it would happen when I was stressed or pressured. It can also happen when I am overwhelmed or over-stimulated or tired.

:yeahthat:   except I maybe don't get it really often. I do get it though and have done for years. Not remembering the word I need  - that comes really often.

I agree with Snookiebookie about it being an indicator and that trying for some self-care is good. Be gentle with yourself, you've had a really strenuous couple of days.  :hug: :hug:

Kizzie

:yeahthat:   Maybe time for a break -  a walk in the  :sunny: or  some :zzz:  perhaps to let things calm and pass.

ah

It happens to me too when I'm very stressed. It's a pretty reliable indicator that tells me I'm overexerted emotionally and I should wind down and look for ways to help myself recuperate a little bit. When my stress levels are very high I get exhausted and this easily happens.

It may be because of a person that triggered me, maybe something innocuous said in a conversation or something unkind that was said. Or just eye contact, that can do it too. Or an experience or something that I saw or heard... also being in EF's can definitely do it when I'm on my own. And exhaustion and dealing with hardships, those will do it for sure.

I'm so sorry it was a horrendous day  :blink: how are you doing now?

Rowan

Oh hon. Word salad is awful - I was in the same boat today. I couldn't say Parking Space..  :grouphug:

For me, I've been fairly triggered for the last day or so, ruminating on the things that triggered me - and as usual the nausea was the only sign I had of anxiety - the word salad was new for me. So frustrating, not to be able to just communicate.

I'm taking it as a note that something is not right - is that the reason? I don't know, but I'm going to take things gently over the next few days.

:grouphug:

Rowan

JT0519

Hi,
I understand how you feel. That happens to me, usually after a long hard, stressful day. It's like my mind is all jumbled, which makes my words all jumbled. I usually just kind of quiet down and do my own thing for a while and sometimes that helps. Sometimes just sleeping helps as well.
I hope you are feeling better and get the rest you need!

MillieEva

Hi,

That's not a nice experience but also pretty typical of what goes on in our brains when we're stressed or triggered.

When we're stressed our brains go into the fight, flight, freeze response.. which means that it's the brainstem and sometimes emotional mid brain that take over. Language and speaking skills are produced in the top/front part of the brain, which is exactly the part of the brain that we don't have access to when we're stressed.

I agree when this happens it's probably a good idea to take a break and do something self soothing, whether it's sensory (listen to music, aromatherapy, have a bath), physical (go for a walk), emotional (connect with a friend) or cognitive (reframing, grounding). 

I hope this insight helps.

Rainydaze

Thank you for all the lovely replies and sorry for not coming back and saying that sooner, life's been going a thousand miles a minute recently.  :fallingbricks:

I work in an office part time which I don't think is the best situation for me and my anxiety as I can feel so ambushed and stuck at my desk when someone is talking to me. Even if it's not threatening it can sometimes trigger a fight or flight response in me. I'm trying to set up an online business in the days I don't work there but it's so slow going. I'm really hoping that branching out on my own will work, or at least allow me enough of an income to stay part time, as I just don't think I have the stamina for most jobs and that probably is due to the CPTSD. I'm at my most productive with everything I do in life if I can have a time out every couple of hours to just rest my eyes for 20 minutes and regroup, but work can be so fast paced and demanding and doesn't allow me that!

When my speech went weird I had just been to hospital a couple of days before for a stressful appointment so I think my amygdala was still calming down from that. My husband's been showing signs of depression too lately which is hard to watch as I feel so powerless to help him and lack of sleep always stresses me too. In short, stress. I think you're all right, I need to just chill a bit!

Thanks everyone. :hug: