Going to finally get help (also, hi!)

Started by scoutf1nch, July 08, 2018, 02:17:47 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

scoutf1nch

Hi everyone, I first heard about C-PTSD about 9 months ago and so much finally made sense. I'm 38 years old and was raised in an abusive household and then married and divorced a narcissist. I've been in therapy several times to treat the depression and anxiety that resulted but the abuse has never been addressed. I had always thought that my mother was also a narcissist but my sister thinks that she has borderline. That makes a lot more sense to me.

The trauma that I've experienced still affects me (I now know that I'm experiencing emotional flashbacks) and I'm trying to raise a son in the midst of all of this as well. I just really want for him to not be saddled with my issues. I didn't even realize that I had these issues until fairly recently. Or, to be more accurate, I thought I had handled them already. I'm trying to get in to see a therapist that specializes in trauma to start working through everything that has happened to me.

I'm so glad that this website and forum is here. Thanks for reading. 

JT0519

Hello and welcome!
I am new here as well. I just heard about CPTSD recently at my intake session with a therapist. I just want you to know that you're not alone. While I don't know every detail about your situation, reading what you've posted reminded me a lot of myself and my family.
I'm glad you've decided to join here. I hope this helps both of us!
Nice to meet you!

scoutf1nch

Deep Blue

Welcome! I like your name.  I empathize with what you said.  I have a son too, am in my 30s and worry about my son being saddled by my problems.

Through the years I've learned to put on a brave face and keep my trauma hidden.  My husband doesn't know about it and I keep everyone in the dark.

This place is an outlet for me. It's the only time I'm actually honest.  Outside my therapist's office these are the only people that I share my story with.  It's a healing place for me and I hope it is for you as well.  :wave: