From Surviving to Thriving for Survivors of Childhood Abuse by Mary Bratton.

Started by Hope67, July 13, 2018, 11:06:04 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Hope67

***Trigger warning - Book's content is about Childhood Abuse. ***

I have ordered this book, which was recommended by someone in the forum, and it's arrived today.  I have just looked at the back of the book, and it says:

"... you'll find everything you need to know about obtaining and maintaining autonomy and speeding recovery in the age of managed care.  You'll also find step-by-step guidance for dealing with adult survivors, including rationale for diagnosis, process, and sequence.@

The complete title of the book is:
"From Surviving to Thriving: A Therapist's Guide to Stage II Recovery for Survivors of Childhood Abuse" and it's published in 1999.

I am pleased to note that Phillip A Whitner, who is a Senior Staff Counsellor at the University Counselling Centre at the University of Toledo, Ohio, said
"A must read for all, including survivors... There are not enough adjectives to describe what Bratton has captured in this book...She takes a lifelong debilitating disorder and unravels its intricacies in concise, succinct, and understandable language"

The author - Mary Bratton - has a private psychotherapy practice at Harbor Behavioural Healthcare in Toledo, Ohio.  She specializes in the treatment of adult survivors of childhood trauma and abuse.  She also provides training and consultation services as Director of Intervention Resources.  She is a member of the American Psychotherapy Association and the National Association of Alcohol and Drug Abuse Counsellors, and she is a frequent speaker at professional conferences and workshops.  She is the author of numerous journal articles on various aspects of family and survivor therapy, including publications in The Counsellor, Focus, and Changes, she is also the author of "A Guide to Family Intervention" (Health Communications, inc. 1987).

Anyway, I bought the book because it was recommended by someone in the forum, and because I looked it up online and liked the 'content' description and think it will be helpful to me. 

Hope  :)

Hope67

Hi BeHea1thy,
I have read the book through once, and I think it is a really good book.  I have read a lot of self-help books in the past, but regarding books about 'abuse' I have been scared and avoided them, so actually reading this one, was quite daunting, but I ended up reading it relatively quickly - and I feel that it was a time when I could finally cope better with reading it.  I have done one of the experiential type exercises, but no more than that at present - mainly because I want to make sure I pace myself and don't get over-whelmed.  I have some conflict - or at least some diversity amongst what I refer to as my fragmented/wounded parts - and I'm only just beginning to get to know them, and try to understand them, so this is new stuff for me.  But I feel like Mary Bratton is a really 'sound therapist' and she knows what she's talking about - I have full confidence that working through some of her exercises will help me.   But I am still a bit/sometimes more afraid - so approaching it carefully.

Sorry - feel like I'm not able to express myself as clearly as I'd like to - but basically I think her book is helpful, and I feel in 'safe hands' with her - as I did with Janina Fisher's book.

Hope67

Hi BeHea1thy - I've just seen your reply here today - I am not good at spotting my replies to posts etc...  This book is definitely good, and I will be re-reading it again.  I feel like a butterfly flitting out of books and from one to another, but I re-settle on them again, and take something more each time - although I realise I also avoid things too - hence maybe that's why I flutter about.