Group?

Started by Kalmer, July 27, 2018, 07:05:00 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Kalmer

Has anyone else ever tried group therapy? I find groups really overwhelming but I know it's helpful to meet and talk with others who have experienced similar. Have groups worked for anyone else?

(sorry if this is in the wrong section)

Eyessoblue

Hi, no I haven't, but a friend of mine goes to group therapy more for anxiety and depression but every time she goes she comes back with a whole list of new symptoms as she's spoken to others there and they ve told her what they have and she almost takes on their symptoms and is convinced she then has them too, this group is really not beneficial for her but I'm sure it probably is for some people, who are willing to find ways forward rather then dwell on what they have, this has put me off group therapy for this reason, and like you being amongst a group of people I don't know is quite daunting. I definitely prefer the 1-1 therapy treatment personally as I don't have to worry about what I say or how I feel, I worry in a group situation that I may get judged.

woodsgnome

I've had some experience with this, although the occasions were with a group whose facilitator (an ex-therapist) didn't specifically gear it to trauma survivors. although it tended to usually attract people in various states of trauma recovery. It's very hard to describe these 5-day 'intensive' events, but I suppose the closest might be that they were in-depth journeys deep into personal issues. These were dependant on the makeup of the group, and not a pre-determined sort of program reflecting only the facilitator's approach. As an ex-therapist she had certain viewpoints of course, but was pretty adaptable to whatever came up for individuals as well as the group as a whole.

The groups ranged in size from 8-12, although occasionally I know they were larger. I probably did 5 of these over a 20-year span. Yes, it was a bit overwhelming at first but I was determined to stick with it, and parts of it really helped me. While I find 1-on-1 therapy, such as I'm currently doing, very effective, I valued being around others, too. It was a stretch at times, and it never 'cured' my intense people fears, but as already noted, the group dynamic was usually a definite plus. I wouldn't think this would be apropos, though, for groups larger than what I experienced.

I think the key was the group facilitator's skill at working with whatever came up and to ensure that everything was conducted safely. Unlike what I've heard of other groups, there was no pressure to conform to group-think. Quite the opposite. It's still a tricky proposition to say it would benefit everyone, though. That said, being in a group at least opened up my perspective in a way I'd otherwise not have been able to experience.   

Sceal

I did the DBT-group, which is, I imagine, different than a "regular" group therapy. Because in DBT-group you don't really talk about your trauma. You talk about your homework, and the challenges facing those and which way you practiced and tried out the various tasks. And together with the group you also get a 1-on-1.  Like WG wrote, it was incredible overwhelming, and I dissociated 8/10 times. But despite of that, I felt it really helped. It really helped listening to other people's perspective on different topics, and it helped listening to their way of handeling their challenges. And it really helped listening to their preserverance and to see the change that happened to them over the 12 months I was in the group. It was exhausting, for sure. But I found that it was challenging me too, in a positive way. To change my view slightly, to open up to the world differently. And it's helped me with my journey on recovering.

I also did a Identity Group "therapy"-kind-of-thing at the Sexual and Incest Assault support centre in my city. It was a much smaller group, both in size and in length. Where there were less restrictions on topics, and I was also the youngest one in the group (in oposition to the other one I was of the older ones). And listening to the others sharing from their hearts and souls, listening to their fear and their vulnerabilities and pain - it touched me deeply. I dissociated here too, so it was hard to remember the entire group session - because it was so emotional, but oh my god it was important. I told the group leaders that if they are having a second one I would love to sign up for it.

So my conclusion for me, is that groups can be very helpful. And sometimes helpful in ways I didn't think about. Although I am certain there are groups which are not healthy for ones because the people in the group will feed off each others negativity and keep each other down.

Blueberry

At a time when I couldn't find a trauma-informed therapist within a 100 km radius, I regularly went to weekend retreats to a place where the therapists were trauma-informed. When I say regularly I mean up to 4 times a year for 3-4 years and then less often for a good more years. These groups were very, very healing for me. But I think it's like what woodsgnome says:

Quote from: woodsgnome on July 28, 2018, 04:45:00 AM
I think the key was the group facilitator's skill at working with whatever came up and to ensure that everything was conducted safely. ... It's still a tricky proposition to say it would benefit everyone, though. That said, being in a group at least opened up my perspective in a way I'd otherwise not have been able to experience.

What I also got out of these groups is similar to on here: validation, empathy, understanding from my peers. And people (not just therapists) pointing out my good sides to me. There was a lot of pair work or small group work and people would notice changes in other group members over 3-4 days and tell them.

Kalmer

Thanks for sharing your experiences. This makes me think I'd like to try another group/retreat.

I've tried before and rather than feeling group conformity, I actually quit because  felt I was too different and I didn't really fit the group (it was for people diagnosed with EUPD). Hmmm... food for thought.

rbswan

I have just ended a therapy group that I attended for almost 3-years.  I gained so much from the group but finally got to the point where I felt stuck at a certain level.  It also coincided with 2 other group members leaving who I really trusted.  I am now trying EMDR with a new T and am hopeful that I can get to a deeper level. 

We did a lot of experiential work in the group, but it was a lot of "old-school" group work.  I feel it was very beneficial and included Gestalt (empty chair) psychodrama (T or group members as stand in's - healthy and not healthy parents, inner kids, people), anger work and emoting (racket work, pacing, tantrum) talk pieces, grief work, nurturing, Shin cycle (releasing stuck grief), and various other work pieces.  We also did "brags" weekly (listing ways we improved with people, interactions, self talk, etc.) and accountability work.  Mostly self directed with a very experienced T guiding us during group.  Honestly, sometimes it was exhausting and it's definitely not for everyone.  I feel that there are many more updated modalities these days that are very effective.  I've search for C-PTSD group therapy in my area and haven't found anything.  Good luck.