I'm new here but not new to CPTSD and I have autoimmune disease

Started by Rudi, July 29, 2018, 07:22:33 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Rudi

Actually, I have a couple of autoimmune disorders but moving on; some of the symptoms such as insomnia, mood swings, irritability, pain, etc. can come into play which leaves me vulnerable in my relationship when it comes to trust. My body is attacking itself and I HAVE to rely on someone other than myself   :aaauuugh:

I have been lashing out during this last flare brought on by a brush with my traumatic past. I wish I was handling this better.

Deep Blue

Hi Rudi  :wave:
Welcome to the forum.  There are many of us that have various disorders, some are related and others are not related to our cptsd. I am diagnosed with IBS and also Ménière's disease.

I think the constant anxiety plays a role with my IBS.  I don't think my meniers disease is related.  I got my hearing tested and it's not weak enough for hearing aids yet. 

Welcome again! Glad to have you here

Kizzie

Welcome Rudi   :heythere:  Sorry to hear you are dealing with autoimmune disorders on top of CPTSD. it sucks I know. 

There is more and more research demonstrating the long term physical effects of trauma (see http://www.outofthestorm.website/academic-articles/ under comorbid symptoms).  I don't know how much it will help us but - maybe it lead to better and more treatment and services for us  :Idunno:

I'd like to think that at least it will result in better prevention efforts and early intervention for children who are dealing with trauma at some point.

Coreyliz

I am new to the forum, but I was diagnosed with Crohn's and inflammatory arthritis as a child. It can be overwhelming dealing with the physical and emotional pain, and they certainly feed each other. I have been struggling with hypervigilance  and intrusive thoughts, which then cause stress to my body and increases the pain. I was so grateful to find a discussion of CPTSD and autoimmune diseases. 

Jdog

Coreyliz-

I'm sending you empathetic support for your situation.  I have suffered from psoriasis since before I can remember (was told it appeared at 18 months of age), and have IBS as well.  The pain, frustration, and confusion which comes with any autoimmune disease is very hard.  The emotional pain of CPTSD is also very hard.  My life partner has lupus, so I have a front row seat into that one as well.  She also has PTSD and/CPTSD.  It is all very connected.

Be gentle with yourself, and know that you are in good company here.  Glad you found and joined our forum.

alliematt

Welcome aboard.  I'm sorry you're dealing with autoimmune stuff as well.