This should be talked about more

Started by graffitighost, November 12, 2018, 04:31:59 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

graffitighost

https://psychcentral.com/lib/affect-dysregulation-and-c-ptsd/

"These emotional outbursts can be terrifying both for the victim and anyone else present, lasting anywhere from seconds to a few hours"

"...people suffering from affect dysregulation typically do not experience these strong emotions as 'fear', 'anger' or the like, but rather experience an overwhelming and unbearable sense of raw pain."

"The aftermath of such outbursts often leaves the victim feeling ashamed, guilty and consumed with self-loathing."

"The root cause of these problems is that the the recipients of complex trauma don't go through the same process of learning to cope with emotions that those who grow up in stable, healthy environments pass through."

Reading this was incredible. This is it. This is the thing I do. This is why I would blow up so much.

I'm finally in the perfect place right now. I'm living with someone I can fully trust beyond a shadow of a doubt, and there's no tension in the house. I'm comfortable being outside of my bedroom. But I keep thinking about this. It's bothering me. What if I blow up again?

I don't think it's likely, and I know it's in my control if I handle them correctly, but if anyone has any advice for handling these intense feelings please fill me in.

Boy22

Hmmm, I am not sure I am the best person to respond.

Within my own home my significant other would run and hide.

I only learnt from interactions outside my home where there were trusted observers.

And even then it took many years. + Pete Walkers book.

LilyITV

This sounds like my husband.  He is not in therapy and does not think he has a problem, but he grew up in a toxic environment very similar to what I experienced.