Being childish and scared

Started by Sceal, August 04, 2018, 08:32:45 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Sceal

Like most artist I more often than not do NOT think whatever I'm working on is good enough. But last night I finished a colour study I was kind of happy with. And I asked an artist friend of mine what he thought, as he'd seen it while I was still in the beginning stages.
His reply was "um I don't think it's finished", without explaining what he meant with that, or how he thought I should push it further.
And now it's making me feel worthless, eventhough I've gotten a few comments on facebook by people (mainly non-artists) that they really like it.
I am scared that I don't see how terrible it actually is.
My friend isn't the kind of person who's afraid of giving critique, but I wasn't asking for critique.

And now I don't know how to deal with this, for me this is now a conflict. And conflicts scare me.
In my head he has told me I am not good enough. But I'm also annoyed at him for saying such a thing without explaining. What was the point of that statement - other than shooting me down?
And I don't know if I should tell him I'm not okay with such answers  - or if I should just not talk to him about my art ever again. Just generally not talk to him at all. Silent treatment. And it feels childish.

I am just really bummed out. I was getting excited to do art again. And now I'm scared to open up photoshop and it'll suck.

Eyessoblue

Hi, it sounds like your inner critic is kicking in!! This is just one person's opinion of your work, it doesn't mean it's the right one.
It sounds as if you were doubting yourself and with that person's opinion you are doubting yourself now and are feeling angry.
You're not being childish you asked an opinion and we're hoping for some positive feedback which you didn't get then your inner voice has come in and told you that you're worthless what's the point etc.
Like I say why is 'his' opinion so valid, he could have said that for any reason maybe he actually thought it was amazing but that made him feel inadequate so he chose to critique you.
If you can just try and forget his opinion and move on without letting it affect you too much, try and get rid of that doubtful inner voice too , it sounds like it's taking over you at the moment. I do this by swearing at it, telling it to go away etc, it does actually work for me.
Carry on with your art especially as it's something you really enjoy, and don't let one person's thought take this away from you.

Hope67

Hi Sceal,
I agree with Eyessoblue, this is purely one person's opinion of your work - and actually - he really didn't say much - except that he thought it wasn't finished - I think the extra feelings and thoughts you are having are probably due to your inner critic's concerns - rather than related to that guy who you asked.  Again, Eyessoblue has said this too - spot on, I'd say.
I know it's easy for people outside a situation to give an opinion or idea, but I think if this had happened to me, I would be tempted to go back to the man, and ask "You remember you told me that you think my work isn't finished - I'd like to know more about what you think" - because really that person hasn't really given you much feedback at all - having further detail would be helpful, and even then, Art is such an individual thing - what one person loves and raves about is what another person may personally dislike, that's the wonderful thing about Art, and the fact everyone is individual and can like/prefer different things.

I bought a painting yesterday - and I was so thrilled to bring it home and put it on the wall - and I thought about the Artist, and wondered if he would realise how much it meant for me as a buyer of that Art to own the picture and enjoy it.  I haven't bought a painting in years and years, but I was so moved by the painting he had done, and thought it was so beautiful.  But I couldn't tell the Artist that, as I just saw it in a shop and bought it.  I am happy that so many other people would have walked by and maybe not appreciated the painting enough to buy it, because then I wouldn't have been able to have it, and it means such a lot.

Sceal, I am sure you are a great Artist, because you've got some positive reactions from people you know - and I do wonder if you ask that man again about his feedback, maybe you'll find that he does also like it, but maybe just wanted to give you some constructive feedback - I just wish he had expanded on what he said, because essentially I don't think what he said was all that useful.

Sorry - long reply I know.

Hope  :)

ah

I agree it sounds like a possible vicious inner critic attack. What he said was so short and could be understood in more than one way but then your inner critic might have hijacked your moment of pleasure and accomplishment and used it against you.
And, I bet you know far better than me how feedback you get from other artists can be weird. Sometimes when the feedback is odd that's an indication you did a good job :Idunno:
Either way, whether others will love your work or not, you're good and nobody's opinion can take that away from you. Not even your inner critic can.

Sceal

Thank you everyone for giving me your thoughts. I am still annoyed with him, and I don't feel like reaching out to him still. He is good at vexing me at times.
But you are probably right it was a strong case of an inner critic.

I felt better after whining about it here on the forum though. So thank you all for listening.