Unable to access trauma therapy - NHS

Started by Sasha, August 04, 2018, 05:31:32 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Sasha

Hi all

An NHS CBT therapist 4 years ago referred me on to longer term service as she identified that I had disclosed child abuse and neglect in my past. I accepted this and sought the referral for long-term therapy looking at core values and boundaries that she suggested.

Whilst this referral was processing I had to move, and then once I had set up home again I started a new referral in a new location. Since then I have had to move about 7 more times and have had my referral interrupted each time.

Years on I feel like I am reaching a dead end. I have read as much as I can, but feel like I am hitting walls and really want to work with a therapist who can help with my past trauma. I don't have an official diagnosis as of yet.

In my new area I started a new referral 6 months ago and am going through the process again. I plan to stay in this area for the foreseeable and have hope, however they keep bouncing me between services that can't help me.

I have disclosed to a number of assessment services and still feel no closer to help. Recently I have been losing days and cancelling work where my symptoms of tiredness, confusion and anxiety get too high to function properly. I called the CMHT team last week on a very bad day and they even referred me to someone else, who referred me back to CMHT.

Since then I have written a letter to PALS and am also considering writing a complaint to my GP, to the CMHT and to my MP about what is going on.

I feel fed up, exhausted and that having to retell and then being rejected over and over again is really causing me to struggle, bringing about feelings of hopelessness and feeling stuck, depressed and like I am never going to get help.

I can't afford to go private, and CPTSD is having a big affect on my work, income, mood and relationships. I feel like I am regularly losing days at a time - life feels so up and down and I am not able to achieve the things I want.

Please does anyone have advice or words of encouragement in regards to accessing support for CPTSD on the NHS and any clue of how I can push this forward?

Many thanks,
Sasha

Knowunknown

Sasha:

I am sorry to hear the frustration and desperation in your post.  Since I am in the U.S., I cannot give you any specific advice on how to advocate for yourself, one of the most grueling things to have to do whilst juggling other stressors.   Hard to have your desire and right to help, also become a source of stress.

You did state some of the things you had done in order to gain access to the treatment you are in need of.   Good for you....as I said, sometimes "everything" just seems to hard, and you did these things.   You also mentioned considering writing to 3 other persons, one of whom was your GP (an internationally shared acronym- the others...not so much).
I would say that you do know what to do, and writing those letters (squeaky wheel b.s.) may actually facilitate getting you started.  When you have the energy, write a letter, or two, or all three, and then you will have been your best advocate until new ideas (if necessary- hopefully not) emerge. 

Wishing for you the help you require without more stress.

Eyessoblue

Sasha, sorry I realise this post is quite old but I've only just seen it. I too am from the uk and and battling through the nhs for cptsd. In my area I've been told there are no female therapists (which is my requirement due to my distrust of men) I'm about to be put with a trainee who will have to be supervised as she's not properly qualified, feeling like this won't work so am literally about to give up!
There are such things as counselling centres in the uk that offer reduced cost counselling I attended one sometime ago and paid £15 each time, if you have a look on the counselling directory there are some counsellors on there who also offer reduced cost counselling if you can prove you're not employed etc.  Again tho this depends on your area etc.
Trouble with the nhs they are so understaffed and no resources also you're only entitled up to 12 weeks which if any of them actually understood cptsd they would know that trust and safety are paramount i]and it will take at least 8 weeks before you probably even feel like disclosing anything by which time your entitlement is practically over. It's a frustrating situation with the nhs and mental health.