CPTSD is Finally an Official Diagnosis

Started by Kizzie, March 27, 2016, 04:45:43 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Kizzie

Updated Post Feb 2023- As of 2018 Complex PTSD has been accepted by the World Health Organization as an official diagnosis and will be included in its International Classification of Diseases Edition 11.  It still has not been accepted by the American Psychiatric Association for its diagnostic manual (the DSM).

Huzzah and hurrah!!!!  :cheer:   :applause:    :thumbup:

Dutch Uncle

:thumbup:

Thanks for staying on top of this and informing us.  :applause:

MoonHare

I wish to send my thanks to you as well Kizzie and not just for this post, but the whole board. I know its hard work as I used to run several boards.

Hope your day is great

Kizzie

How kind of you both - thank you!   :hug:

chairmanmeow

Sweet its about time! This will change everything for a lot of people.. misdiagnoses and practitioner ignorance has been all too common. This news does my heart good.

Healing Finally

Yes, thanks for this info.  I'm going to be changing therapists soon as my current therapist was not familiar with C-PTSD until I told her about it.  She is not a psychologist so I am now researching for a psychologist that understands and works with people who are dealing with C-PTSD.  With that person's help, I hope to gain insight to my past actions and reactions that have plagued me due to my wonky brain when I get triggered.  And then learn how to work through these triggers, hopefully remapping my brain so that I can live "pain free"

And yes, thank you very much Kizzie and all Admins for all your hard work to help us!  :bighug:

Suzanne

I found this link from the UK Trauma Psychological Society, even the Royal College of Psychiatrists recognise as well as the NHS, but it's not mentioned in the NICE guidelines (national institute for care excellence).  I suppose the organisation is waiting for the WHO to list it.

https://www.google.co.uk/url?sa=t&rct=j&q=&esrc=s&source=web&cd=1&ved=0ahUKEwis2rKjp-PVAhWsBsAKHaFBDYkQFggoMAA&url=http%3A%2F%2Fwww.bps.org.uk%2Fsystem%2Ffiles%2FPublic%2520files%2FPolicy%2Fukpts_guideline_for_treating_complex_ptsd_draft_for_external_circulation.docx&usg=AFQjCNEl6Lw0LwjzMJNX3a0L3B-WVQklgQ

Eyessoblue

Suzanne that was a really interesting read thank you.

Kizzie

Yes, tks for this Suzanne  :thumbup: 

Note:  I am currently on vacation but once back I will be updating this thread (and other areas of the web site and this forum including symptoms), now that the World Health Organization (WHO) has included Complex PTSD in their International Classification of Diseases (ICD).

Kizzie 

Kizzie

Well, I'm a bit late getting back to this,  :whistling:  but as I found out the WHO was doing work in the fall of 2017 on the actual wording of the diagnosis.  That finished at the end of Dec and it looks like the official diagnosis is as follows:

Complex post-traumatic stress disorder (Complex PTSD) is a disorder that may develop following exposure to an event or series of events of an extremely threatening or horrific nature, most commonly prolonged or repetitive events from which escape is difficult or impossible (e.g., torture, slavery, genocide campaigns, prolonged domestic violence, repeated childhood sexual or physical abuse). The disorder is characterized by the core symptoms of PTSD (including brain and HPA Axis alterations); that is, all diagnostic requirements for PTSD have been met at some point during the course of the disorder. In addition, Complex PTSD is characterized by 1) severe and pervasive problems in affect regulation; 2) persistent beliefs about oneself as diminished, defeated or worthless, accompanied by deep and pervasive feelings of shame, guilt or failure related to the traumatic event; and 3) persistent difficulties in sustaining relationships and in feeling close to others. The disturbance causes significant impairment in personal, family, social, educational, occupational or other important areas of functioning.

URL = https://icd.who.int/dev11/proposals/f/en#/http://id.who.int/icd/entity/585833559?readOnly=true&action=ContentEnhancementProposal&stableProposalGroupId=904bb7e6-14cc-462c-b31f-79ca70b8f628&notifsystem

The manual is supposed to be published in 2018 although I haven't been able to find a firm date. 

Dee

I hope this will pressure APA to follow.  I can't imagine the rest of the world using a diagnosis that the US does not recognize.  Though, it is increasing recognized here.  Even government organizations are not only recognizing it but advocating for it to be included in the DSM.

SunnyDays

Thank you for sharing this... I'm going to print and found those books, since the DSM is something very relevant of course. Let's cross fingers for a new (and positive) update,