The daily things I did to fight the depression

Started by Sceal, August 18, 2018, 08:20:37 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Sceal

I've been doing good lately, really good infact. I'm not sure if it is going to last, but what I do know is that I got hope back that when I do fall back into the depression stages again, I will know that I will feel good again. I'm not cured, I still got trauma to work through, and it will be hard as *.
It's happened a few times in my life when the fog of depression has lifted and I've felt better for a while, and I've always wondered what it was that I did to make it all better. This time I took the time to analyze, and I thought I'd share with you my little steps (and the bigger ones).
Although, as a disclaimer I would like to say: For a while they didn't work, for a long time in-fact. But I kept doing them anyway, because I trusted my Lady T and the advices I'd been given. I didn't have anything to lose by keep trying, it didn't cost me anything - so why not?

- At the end of every day I would write down every positive thing that happened to me during that day.  In the beginning it was hard to spot them, but it got easier with practice, although there were many days there weren't anything positive. But it could range from that the weather on that day was nice. Funny shape of a cloud, a smile from a stranger, a conversation with a friend, discovery of something, a good meal. Anything positive. The reason behind this is to remind the brain, make it remember.

- On occation I would stop up after a shower and actually be kind to my body and use moisturizing cream all over. (it's not something I usually do). But I'd feel better.

- I'd look at the stars

- I'd reach out to a friend and say "I got a bad day today, but can I come over anyway?" - and I wouldn't talk about why the day was bad. We'd talk about other things, normal things. And I might not feel better there and then, but I would avoid feeling worse by being stuck in my own head. Over time, this really made connect better with them.

-Be outside, in the sun if I could. Just get some fresh air for a few minutes.

-Go for a walk, in my own speed. For my own sake, looking around at the world around me.

-Lie down on the sofa and listen to the rain outside

-Lie down on the sofa and listen to music

- Avoid reading the news in the morning

- Read an enjoyable book

- Excersise, this is a hard one for me. Because I feel I need to perform, but when I slow down and do it for me, and not in order to prove something or to get validation from others, this work really well.

- Listening to TED.com talks about various topics, sometimes over and over again.

-Allow myself to be sad or angry

- Talk kindly to myself whenever I am being attacked by the Shame-monster

- Write down 3 things, first thing in the morning before I do anything else, what I'm grateful for today.

- And tell people I appreciate them.

There's a few other things too, but this post is already too long. I hope that my discoveries will be helpful to someone else out there.

Wattlebird

This is good stuff, I have started some of these myself for exactly the same reason, I'm not sure when to approach a friend like that I have done it on occasion but it is a mental struggle
What are your other tips?

Jdog

Love all of this!  Thanks for the reminders - I have tried many of these, and it's all about practicing and patience. 

Sceal

:hug:
Jdog: It's true, it really is about just keep going even if it doesn't seem like it's working. It takes a while to notice the difference. :)

Wattlebird: Approaching my friends took a very long time, but they were very appreciative and understanding when I did. I hope you'll get the same reception I did when you're ready too!

As for the other tips:

I started facing things rather than avoiding them. For instance, attending university was too much pressure for me, it was dragging me down. Despite the fact I love learning, and it was super interessting topics. But I had to face the facts and send in a prolongued leave of absence. It sucked, but stepping away from it gave me so much more room to slow down and focus on therapy and getting better. It was simply put, removing the thing that did me more harm than good in a non-abusive way.

I also started to try and prioritize. What was more important for me? For example: My health or proving something in order to get acceptance?

I stopped over-booking. I made sure I had a few things to do during the week that would get me out of the house, but no more than max 2 activities per day. Preferably just one. And to book in rest-days. Days where I allowed myself to not be social or having to do anything.

I got alot of homework from my Therapist, and I'd do them, over and over again, even if I felt there was no point.

The most recent thing I've managed to do, is to work out for as hard and as long as I can and want. Not for how long/hard I should. If it turns out 10 minutes is all I can do today, then okay. 10 minutes was what I'll do. Tomorrow might be longer! And It's quite liberating. It is far more enjoyable when I remove the expectations and the shoulds. They still pop up, but not as strongly at the moment.