I came out to colleauges

Started by RecoveryRandal, August 25, 2018, 12:05:43 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

RecoveryRandal

Yesterday I was at a work meeting about an upcoming training I'll be co-delivering next month. The workshop will be for vulnerable human rights activists and will include aspects of self-care as well as how to incorporate diversity into their work.

My colleagues and I are keenly aware that the trainees have been through a lot, and we were meeting to plan how our training can be as trauma-informed as possible. That's when I decided to come out as a trauma survivor and as someone with C-PTSD.

I just couldn't keep talking about trauma in the abstract. And I wanted to also be able to offer "insider" tips on avoiding and dealing with being triggered. I trust these colleagues, and they were great.

But today I'm feeling a little shaky. It came over me all at once late this afternoon. I've eaten, drank water, and am wearing my favorite zip hoodie. My plan now to curl up in bed and watch a sci-fi movie or show on my laptop for some fantasy escape.

I'm really proud of myself. If and when we're able to share aspects of our struggles and successes, it can go a long way to destigmatize mental illness. And yet it's a deeply personal choice that can carry real consequences with it. This decision is not for everyone. But for me, when I'm able to share, it's brought a sense of real relief.

Contessa

💛
That's all I can say right now. Such a powerful step for yourself x

radical

This is big and courageous!
I take my hat off to you!

Kizzie

Way to go Randall, that really is a big step  :cheer:     :thumbup:       :applause:   

And that was excellent self-care after when you realized you had revealed yourself.  I also drink a lot of water when I have that reaction - if I don't I find I feel like I have a hangover because of the chemicals/hormones released.   Anyway, I hope your hoodie kept you warm and cozy and the movie was a good one.  :hug: