Feeling scared

Started by kezkel101, August 25, 2018, 08:54:19 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

kezkel101

Does anyone feel scared? Like all the time?
I constantly feel scared. Not on high alert or anything just scared. Ive tried to reflect on it and figure out whats behind it and I have no idea. I dont feel like im waiting for things to go wrong or like someone will hurt me i just feel scared. Deeply scared. Sometimes its just an emotion but sometimes for some no reason it becomes a physical sensation like i dark pit full of fire in my tummy. My head becomes spacey and foggy and the fear starts to become a real sense of panic. Ive tried to shift it I try and think logically or accept it and move on but i just cant shift it.
I have felt like this for as long as i remember. I have had moments of not feeling scared when i was with someone i trusted but i dont have them anymore as that person isnt in my life. I remember the fear going, the fog lifting it was like everything became clearer, my head slowed down and i got some rest.
I need to not feel scared. I need a rest from the fear. I need a chance to rest and see things clearly but i dont know how to do it.
How do I stop feeling scared? any ideas?

goblinchild

When I was going through one of the most unstable and unsafe periods of my life, I took up the habit of drinking tea. I didn't feel like I had any safe place to store the tea, I always worried about other people breaking my cups, and I worried about being out in the open and making noise every time I microwaved the water. But. Every time I made tea it was like I could steal away from all the constant terror around me for just a moment. 

I never really felt completely calm while drinking tea, but it gave me something where I could focus on the smell, on temperature, on taste. It slowed me down. Through practice it became a ritualistic thing and it's like my brain started associating tea with calm(-er than usual). Eventually when I made a cup of tea, just the muscle memory of going through the process would trigger a kind of comfort. It's not a permanent solution, but through practice it can provide some relief while you work things out.

If you have the ability to do so, I've heard that some people get a similar experience from baking cakes or taking showers. I would imagine that anything that engages your senses would work . It doesn't have to be tea.