The power of remaining open to my own heart

Started by Jdog, August 28, 2018, 12:18:29 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Jdog

As I prepare to head back into the maelstrom of emotions and intellect known as the high school classroom, I am excited to try my brand new practice of slowing down and listening to my inner self when things get difficult. 

Here's to the best year of teaching ever!  Year 24 will be fun, challenging, and brand new.

Kizzie

Wow JDog, 24 years - way to go you!  :applause:   I hope you have a wonderful year and your self-care mitigates the inevitable bumps in the road that come with teaching  :hug:

Jdog

Thanks, Kizzie!  One thing keeping me motivated is getting student teachers.  I just met the latest "mini me", and he's fantastic!  Kind, gentle, quirky, and if an entirely different ethnic background.  My kids are gonna have a great time this year.  And for some reason, the professors at the University adore me and have really built me up in the mind of this young pup.  That's a nice place to occupy, and motivates me to be even more for him and the kids.

woodsgnome

Those new rounds in a creative process like teaching can be a challenge, to say the least. If it weren't so everything would seem so humdrum. So it's fun to read your anticipation for the possibilities ahead.

Best wishes for the new school year.   :hug:

Jdog

Thanks, Woodsgnome.  I am, at the same time, going through a bout of self criticism and general unhappiness that summer break has ended.  These pleasure/pain sequences are common and it is, as you point out, the very lack of humdrumness that allows creativity to flow.  So I can't be too upset when the waves of displeasure strike my shores.  They are echos of times past rather than portents of things to come. 

I appreciate your nice comments.  You and Kizzie help me feel less alone.

Kizzie

QuoteAnd for some reason, the professors at the University adore me and have really built me up in the mind of this young pup.  That's a nice place to occupy, and motivates me to be even more for him and the kids.

I'm not surprised they adore you JDog  ;D   What a lovely warm and fuzzy to hug close when you are having a down day!

Three Roses

woodsgnome

I'm always impressed by aphorisms that say in a few words thoughts and reflections that some would stretch into mountains of verbiage when just a few words would suffice, and sometimes be even more powerful.

So I just loved your title for this thread: The Power of Remaining Open to My Own Heart..

That summarizes well what all of us are aiming for as we navigate the bumpy roads here in cptsd-land, IMO.

Your signout...The Commitment is Daily, also is a good reminder of what this takes, even when we're frustrated, tired, and angry.

Thanks again.

Jdog

Thanks, everyone.  I had kind of a rough day today, got triggered twice.  Your kind words are a balm on my soul.

Tomorrow:  Meeting 170 new students!!

Hope67

Hope it goes ok for you when you meet your new students, Jdog.
Hope  :)

Jdog