Maybe it's the hormones, but I do feel better . . .

Started by alliematt, August 30, 2018, 01:15:16 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

alliematt

I had my yearly discussion with my GYN about hormones and told her that there were times I felt terribly depressed but, after I changed the estrogen patch I was wearing, I felt better the next day.  She did prescribe me a patch with a higher hormone level, and I have been feeling better since then.  (I'm in my mid-50's and post-menopausal.) 

For me, I think this has helped my mental outlook, and hormones mightbe something for others to look into if they're dealing with depression.  (I stress the might part; depression, etc. has plenty of causes, not all of them hormonal.) 

I also know hormonal therapy, medication, etc. isn't a substitute for doing therapy, doing mental work, setting boundaries, etc.  I also worry because I am at a higher risk for breast cancer (this is part of dealing with hormone replacement therapy, being told that it could raise the risk for breast cancer.  Which is why I get my mammograms regularly.  Gee, what a tradeoff, depression vs. cancer!)   

Plus, for me, it makes sense that if you deal with a medical condition and you see some improvement, that frees up energy you've been using on the medical condition which you can then use to work on other issues.  (Make sense?)

I got this

Makes perfect sense!  I havent hit that time of life yet, but of course I notice the vast difference between mid cycle high estrogen (easy to cope days) and the end of cycle low estrogen days (PMS blues, hypersensitive).
It doesnt surprise me at all that a bit more estrogen has got you feeling better.  So happy for you that its working out :)