Being assertive = intense anxiety

Started by LittleBirdy, September 01, 2018, 02:55:32 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

LittleBirdy

Recently I found myself in a situation anyone else would have not been so calm in. Basically, there was a situation where my health was at risk due to the conditions I had been forced to live in. I took it up with the proper authories but doing so made me so anxious. I kept feeling like I was overreacting or like they would hate me for speaking up. All of my neighbors had said if their place looked the way mine did when moving in, they would not have been anywhere near as nice as I was. I have improved so much over the years with asserting myself but I still find it hard when thrown into situations such as this  :spooked:

Wattlebird

Yes I think from what I have read that this is very common in cptsd I am exactly the same, I think it's a feeling of speaking up for your own rights is shameful somehow or we are ashamed to have needs ...
You are doing the right thing and congrats for having the courage to speak up for yourself

finallyfree

:cheer: :cheer: :cheer: :applause: :applause: :applause: congratulations Littlebirdy on your improvement and wishing you continued success!

Blueberry

Quote from: BeHea1thy on September 01, 2018, 02:19:09 PM
Wattlebird said:
QuoteYou are doing the right thing and congrats for having the courage to speak up for yourself

It's hard to bring up a housing issue, because so much is at risk. it took guts to do it. I hope you get some positive resolution from it.  :cheer:

:yeahthat:

LilyITV

Being assertive is incredibly difficult for me as well.  I hate asking for help and being dependent on someone.  I have just started therapy and we haven't started working on assertiveness yet, but I look forward to the day when I treat myself with the same regard that I treat others.