Week 2: Stage 1, step 1, activity 2: Positive affirmations

• 6 Replies

C.

• Learning from reciprocity as I heal from CPTSD.
    • View Profile
Week 2: Stage 1, step 1, activity 2: Positive affirmations
« on: March 08, 2015, 09:15:09 PM »
2.   Write some positive affirmations about the breakthrough crisis in your journal.For example,  "I survived the abuse, I can survive this also," or "Out of crisis, there can be opportunity."  Even if you don't feel that positive right now, try to write down whatever sentiments come to you about managing this crisis in a positive manner.  Do whatever is necessary to give yourself the hope and strength you desperately need.

C.

• Learning from reciprocity as I heal from CPTSD.
    • View Profile
Re: Week 2: Stage 1, step 1, activity 2: Positive affirmations
« Reply #1 on: March 11, 2015, 04:45:36 AM »
I think this is something I've been working on over the past year or so.  Instead of the all or nothing, crisis or "fine" reality I've been finding phrases that work for me like

"It's gonna be ok, this will pass"
"You're a good person, it's gonna be ok"
"It's normal to feel ________ (sad) when ________ (happens), you'll feel better again soon"

I sometimes imagine myself being the loving mother, mothering me and making those brain connections that didn't happen as a child happen now.

« Reply #2 on: March 11, 2015, 07:35:32 AM »
Something I've been telling myself is this: "Don't worry when difficult feelings come up. At least this time around, you're there to help the injured part of yourself, and this time around, you can see to it that she gets treated right."

bee

• View Profile
« Reply #3 on: March 11, 2015, 11:04:31 PM »
"You're a good person, it's gonna be ok"

I sometimes imagine myself being the loving mother, mothering me and making those brain connections that didn't happen as a child happen now.

I said the above quote to myself, several years ago, over and over, one word for each step, as I hiked or walked.

I imagine myself as a loving mother too. I cradle/hug my IC and rock her as I say over and over, "there there it will be ok."

Feeling things is scary, but it will not kill me.
There is a reason I react the way I do, it is to be expected, it is allowed, I can accept my reaction.(working on this one)
Feelings are like being caught in a wave in the ocean, there is no point in resisting, go with it, and it will pass.
Looking at these I sorta see that they are not exactly positive, more survivalist. One's that are a bit more positive.

I survived the abuse, I am stronger than I know.
I survived the abuse, and now I have two cats, and that makes me feel like the luckiest person in the universe.
From this I learned to dissociate, which means I never have to be bored, and it's handy during a cleaning at the dentist.(read this as a bit snarky)
More seriously, from this I have learned skills that I can learn to use to my benefit. (Compartmentalization, calm in crisis, use logic instead of reacting from emotions when needed, disassociation, high alert/super senses, reading of people, etc.)
Being one of the abused sucks, but it allows me to feel empathy for others who have suffered.
Having to sort through the wreckage of my childhood will result in me knowing myself better than the majority of the population.

anosognosia

• View Profile
« Reply #4 on: March 14, 2015, 06:38:53 PM »
My positive affirmation is often "I'm safe."

Kizzie

• Administrator
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: March 16, 2015, 07:28:59 PM »
Dissociating can be a positive thing I agree Bee, I have used it at the dentist's and when I am bored too lol.

My main positive affirmations (I too have a lot of survival ones) these days are: "It's OK, we will chase away the ghosts from the past together" (said to my IC), and "I am a kinder, more compassionate and insightful person because of my CPTSD."

anosognosia

• View Profile
« Reply #6 on: March 20, 2015, 11:00:09 AM »
"I am a kinder, more compassionate and insightful person because of my CPTSD."

HOLY F, that is powerful and amazing. I am going to write this down because that's amazing.