Week 2: Stage 1, step 1, activity 3: Relaxation techniques

• 8 Replies

C.

• Learning from reciprocity as I heal from CPTSD.
    • View Profile
Week 2: Stage 1, step 1, activity 3: Relaxation techniques
« on: March 08, 2015, 09:16:12 PM »
3.   Learn and practice this simple 7-part relaxation technique:  1) sit comfortablyand close your eyes; 2) imagine lying down at an ocean beach; 3) listen to the waves build, crest and wash over the sand; 4) feel your breathing; 5) focus on your breathing by inhaling, holding your breath for 3 seconds and releasing; 6) repeat the cycle of breathing and focusing on your breathing until the tension gradually washes away from your body and you feel relaxed from head to toes; 7) continue the cycle, all the while attaining ever-deeper levels of relaxation.

C.

• View Profile
Re: Week 2: Stage 1, step 1, activity 3: Relaxation techniques
« Reply #1 on: March 11, 2015, 05:04:52 AM »
I was pleasantly surprised at work today when a co-worker validated that I was "meditating"...she was right I'd taken a moment to just "be", eyes closed, outside...I have ways to relax  but I'm always open to hearing about ways to do so if anyone has ways they've found work well for them...

« Reply #2 on: March 11, 2015, 07:48:52 AM »
Crocheting and chopping up vegetables. Long, relatively fast-paced walks. Painting furniture. Anything that means I'm moving in a fairly repetitive way: the movement is jiiiust complex enough so I have to concentrate a little, but it's not complicated or stressful, so the rest of my brain can relax.

bee

• View Profile
« Reply #3 on: March 11, 2015, 05:44:26 PM »
For emergency grounding I make myself notice something I see, something I smell, and something I hear.
For deep relaxation. I usually use this if I'm having trouble falling asleep. You want to be laying down, or in a position where your muscle can be relaxed. I start by counting my breaths, long slow breaths, thinking only of the air going in and out. Breathe with your stomach, be aware of moving your stomach in and out with your breath. When I've counted about 10 in a row without my mind wandering I start the next part. I picture a glowing light starting at the tips of my toes. I bring the light slowly up my legs, hips, torso, arms, and finally my neck and head; feeling the tension leave as the light envelopes each part of my body. Don't be surprised if it's harder to I've the light over some areas, just take extra time there. If you're still awake now is the time to think affirming thoughts. What ever you want. They can be simple like 'I am a good person.' Or 'everything will be ok.' It's part of a guided meditation that was taught to me on the speech and debate team, and a similar one taught by my swim coach in high school. For these we relaxed then pictured ourselves swimming with a perfect stroke, or doing a debate and winning, so you could try picturing yourself overcoming a difficult obstacle instead/with the affirmations.

anosognosia

• View Profile
« Reply #4 on: March 14, 2015, 06:39:52 PM »
My favourite relaxation technique is a 20 minute massage at the local spa or lavendar epsom salt soaked bath. Sometimes I lie on my yoga mat, stare at the ceiling.

C.

• View Profile
« Reply #5 on: March 14, 2015, 09:47:11 PM »
I love how thoughtful everyone has been here describing the relaxation techniques.  This sounds like a topic where many have had success.  I see self-awareness about what works, when, and why.  I hadn't thought about the emergency and deep relaxation categories.   I will need the emergency idea for work today!  I took notes on the ideas in my workbook to keep and look back at in the future, thank you!

I think my current two favorites are

1) Burn sage on a special plate and walk slowly around my home blowing on the sage to keep and see the orange coal-like heat.  Part of the time I chant or pray while doing so.

2)  Hold and look at my rocks.  I have a special plate with a variety of rocks/crystals like rose quartz, tourmaline, etc.  I sometimes just hold them and "wear" them in my clothing.  They usually become warm.  It's grounding for me too.

3) Sweep my house.  Pet my cat.  Hot bathes.  Driving in natural areas with little traffic.  Being in my car.

4)  For me putting on makeup is calming, it forces me to settle my hands and focus positively on my appearance.  I've taken to putting on makeup in my car for this reason, it's a way to calm and ground myself just before I go in to work or some other activity.  Plus mirror in the visor works great!  I did this a lot at my last job which was quite stressful for me.

anosognosia

• View Profile
« Reply #6 on: March 15, 2015, 12:09:12 PM »
Burning sage, I should try that!

I like burning incense a lot as well!

C.

• View Profile
« Reply #7 on: March 15, 2015, 07:42:36 PM »
Yes, I have some incense too.  Some people don't like the smell of the sage so much, but I like the purity of burning the dried leaves themselves and the power of allowing it to bring me the healing traditions of my Indian great-great grandmothers ;)

Kizzie

• Administrator
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: March 15, 2015, 09:09:14 PM »
I love driving in the car too C, we have gorgeous scenery here so it's like brain candy. We take our dog who hangs out the back window having a sniff fest and I can see him in my mirror, makes me laugh every time. 

One new thing that I try to do one thing at a time and be very present rather than thinking about the next 10 things on my list I have to do.  It's very grounding and relaxing.  I find I am not just trying to get through one thing to move onto the next, but am enjoying the thing I am doing - cooking, cleaning, walking, whatever. 

Bee I like the idea of focusing in on something like a sound or smell in an emergency and the idea of sipping cold water KeepFighting. I realized I don't really have any emergency relaxation techniques in an EF other than to lay down, rock back and forth and say things like "It's OK, this will pass."  But that's toughing it out so it would be good to have something that actually helps more to bring the anxiety/fear down.