poverty

• 17 Replies

Candid

• The world will always treat me as I treat myself
    • View Profile
Re: poverty
« Reply #15 on: May 29, 2017, 12:05:42 PM »
Having been homeless and jobless, I agree ~~~ poverty is traumatic.

I am jobless and consider myself functionally homeless, in that I can't even imagine attending an interview from here.

Not a penny coming in for nine months now, and my paltry savings slipping away. Yes, it's traumatic.

« Reply #16 on: May 29, 2017, 05:15:53 PM »
I was homeless by the time I was 20 and have lived my entire adult life in poverty including now as I try to raise my daughter and it sucks so bad. I was sobbing to my pastor this week because I put $20 in the offering plate and then had to take two days off work because I ran out of gas. SMH. I felt too guilty and have trust issues with my church to ask for help. I'm grateful in some ways for it because it's taught me to be grateful for everything including hot water (we sometimes get gas or electric cut when we go too long without paying). You're not alone. <3 For me the worst part is I want out of poverty but middle class is so judgemental of us that I don't feel I belong there. :(

beachtrip

• View Profile
« Reply #17 on: April 29, 2019, 12:32:28 AM »

Poverty is indeed a choice, but this choice is not made by the poor. This choice is made by a tiny minority of remarkably privileged people who control our political and economic systems. The poor are then scapegoated so that no one questions the morality of the system that is murdering them. It's the kind of gas-lighting that most abusers do, but it happens at the societal level.

Mourningdove, you said it best! Ugh. This is so true. Poverty is violence.