New to the whole concept of CPTSD (Trigger Warning)

Started by Limage, September 17, 2018, 11:44:56 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Limage

Hello everyone.
I am a 59 years old man based in the UK for the past 25 years. For the last 40 years or so I have battled on occasion with what was described as Depression/Anxiety. From when Depression was first diagnosed I thought in my heart of hearts they have got it wrong! There is more to this than just a 'bout'. True things lightened up from time to time and more recently I put a lot of it down to Seasonal Affective Disorder.

I have always believed that there was something had happened to how my brain dealt with and processed, even in the better times.

Lately I have left work in order to look after my wife who has been diagnosed with Huntington's Disease. I have found that I have been pressed up against so much stuff - feeling of being trapped and helpless - just like it was when I was a child. Lots of horrible triggers and memories are coming up relentlessly. None of the stuff is 'new' but so painful.

CPTSD is the only thing that has in any way resonated with how and probably why I have had so much difficulty. It's so hard to say but I believe that my family created a toxic environment for me. Four siblings (one a twin, we are the youngest) all boys. I struggled with the relentless bullying and teasing. I grew up terrified of my father, especially. Felt unwanted and unloved.

I have self -referred for support to our local mental health services. However I am not sure if they will even have heard of CPTSD.
If anyone in the UK has any further info, experience of such services please let me know.

I look forward to joining in here. x

Eyessoblue

Hi, I'm from the uk and was referred by my doctor to the local mental health team, if it's the same all over the uk you will be entitled to up to 12 sessions of either Cbt, emdr or psychological counselling. My counsellor told me they have to treat cptsd as PTSD as it's not officially recognised!
Through my experience I learnt that 12 sessions isn't nearly enough, once you are finished on week 12 you have to be discharged regardless of how you a feel. You can again refer yourself but will be back on another waiting list which can be any length and you're basically then left with no help.
I wish I hadn't gone down this route and found a private therapist who specifically deals in trauma. I know it's expensive but I also know I would have been a lot better a lot quicker. If you're in a position to do this then I really suggest you do. If not and you get seen on the nhs, make sure that the therapist you're assigned to is specifically trauma trained, a lot of them aren't and you'll notice a difference in the ones who are. I hope this helps.

Kizzie

Hi and welcome to OOTS Limage  :heythere:  I'm sorry to hear you are dealing with CPTSD but you are in good company here. 

We do have some  information sheets and forms you could take to your appointment with the NHS to help them to understand what is Complex PTSD/Trauma, how it developed for you, and what you're struggling with in terms of symptoms.  Check out our "Downloads" page for these:

- Fact Sheet for GPs: Understanding Complex Trauma
- Complex PTSD Symptom Tracking Form
- Causes of Complex PTSD Record

We have a UK member Anna Bragga who just started a face-to-face support group in Bedford who might also be able to give you some additional ideas about resources in the UK. There is a blog article about the group with her contact info here.

I hope this helps. 

Three Roses

hello and welcome! but i'm so sorry to hear your wife has Huntington's.. i look forward to hearing more from you as you progress in your journey.  :hug:

Limage

Many thanks for your kind words of welcome and info. Spoke with my GP today and I broached about Cptsd. He didn't diss me but did explain about the limits of the NHS system. We'll see how it goes. Much love to all.

Geneva

Hi Limage and welcome to the forum.

I just wanted to add a UK resource you may want to consider who provide face to face or skype counselling and have an understanding of cptsd. They provide support to survivors of childhood and/or adulthood narcissistic abuse and it sounds from your description that this may well be your experience.

Here's a link to their web page :  https://www.echosocietycampaigns.co.uk

With every best wish. Geneva