Another me

• 6 Replies

Slim

• "No dramas"
    • View Profile
Another me
« on: September 21, 2018, 09:14:35 PM »
Whilst watching a film this evening, I had a jolt, and realised that I have been keeping myself company for years...what I mean is, I glimpsed another dissociative identity.
I am a bit unnerved by this, but also feel compassion for myself that I have "another me" who helped me survive. My alter ego is like a brother, a friend who went through all the terrible times with me, and kept me sane.
Has anyone else had this feeling, becuase I am panicking a little bit (not trying to be melodramtic).
Best
Slim

Three Roses

• CPTSD is an injury, not an illness.
    • View Profile
Re: Another me
« Reply #1 on: September 22, 2018, 12:37:09 AM »
I can relate - my first glimpse of other facets or whatever of myself did shake me a little. Now I don't really see them as separate from me, but little bits of me at different stages of development. I think this is what everyone has but for us the other bits seem more distinctive. I hope I'm making sense - it's tricky to explain, isn't it? 😉

woodsgnome

• I did not wish to live what was not life
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: September 22, 2018, 12:43:09 AM »
I've had quite a few jolts of what you describe. It can feel disruptive, but as you seem to have noticed, it can be telling you something. Perhaps it's your core self trying to break into your current 'dream' of who you seem to be.

There's a lot of thinking (and some clinical evidence) that what we call a steady-state, 100% consistent 'person' can indeed be made up of several layers, as in an onion, and sometimes we can peel this and discover some new layer we hadn't given much attention to before.

There might be more of these lurking around, and while the danger is a tendency towards schizophrenic mania and multiple personality disorder, when alertly approached with compassion, as you've chosen, it can at least provide another window through which to sense that maybe there is another way that you just hadn't discovered yet. Perhaps we do have these 'secret' survival friends (inner child, etc.) and don't realize it 'til something like what you describe happens.

So while it can be a bit edgy to discover this, as you say it also could be an alter-ego that's been traveling with you all along, and now maybe it feels safe enough to show itself.

Compassion for yourself is the key, and it's cool to note you included that in your reaction to discovering that other self who was, and apparently still wants to be, the friend/brother you needed.

Take care.

Kizzie

• Administrator
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: September 22, 2018, 05:50:41 PM »
Could it be your Inner Guardian/Nurturer part of you starting to make itself more apparent Slim?

I have various parts of me that I can sense sometimes more sometimes less depending on the situation.  I do think they're all a part of me, my core self, but they're more separated/distinct than other people who did not experience trauma.

There's a book I know Hope is working with that might be helpful - "Healing the Fragmented Selves of Trauma Survivors"

Slim

• "No dramas"
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: September 22, 2018, 09:16:34 PM »
Thank you for all your reassurance. It has meant a lot.
......it also could be an alter-ego that's been traveling with you all along, and now maybe it feels safe enough to show itself.
That is such a lovely way to put it, woodsgnome.
I will chek out the book.
Best
Slim X

Boy22

• View Profile
« Reply #5 on: September 24, 2018, 12:02:47 AM »
Through Pete Walkers book I learnt that I dissociate. There are three parts to me.

The real me who is present most of the time.

My frontman: a plesant polite and helpful fellow I use in times of stress when the person I am dealing with is someone whom I value. (So that I dont scare them away because inside I am terrified and angry).

For those where the relationship does not matter and I get stressed my inner child comes out. He is terrified and in rage. My memory gets sanitised when he appears, I think I have been calm and polite and I cant understand the third hand reports I get that so and so is very scared of me.

Jazzy

• View Profile
« Reply #6 on: September 24, 2018, 05:00:32 PM »
Multiple personality has been a battle of mine for a long time, so yes, I can relate to the feelings. I try not to panic about it, as that doesn't help any. It sounds like your other self has been really helpful for you, so it sounds like a good thing if its not interfering with your life. Maybe you can bring some of the positive things over in to your "real you".