Question about People's Dissociation

Started by Anamiame, March 13, 2015, 05:31:18 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Anamiame

My therapist asked me a question today that has me scratching my head. 

"Where do you go when you dissociate?"  I told her no where and she said that is not possible.  I'm still intrigued by the question and yet completely baffled as to what my answer is. 

So, I thought it would be interesting to post it here and see if anyone knows where they go when they dissociate?

Just for clarity, there are different levels and I am sure everyone experiences dissociation differently.  But I'm talking higher up on the dissociation scale when it is more severe and takes time to get back to normal. 

wingnut

Oh, boy! My favorite topic! In fact, my T and I have decided that 2015 is MY YEAR to tackle this beast, so this is almost all we talk about.

I have my greatest dissociation and anxiety in therapy...it takes very little for me to pull away from feeling my body. It's tough for me to have the focus on me, I spent my life trying to hide, which is a Catch-22 because that is the antithesis of what therapy is! Argh!!!

Anyway, I don't go too far away. She has a huge set of french doors in her office that look out on a garden, and I spend over half of my time staring out there, or at the sheers over the door, or the window frame panels in the doors, or the cat that walks by or the occasional deer that shows up, sometimes a few feet away, sometimes up toward the ceiling - anywhere but focused on or IN my body.

I've often thought, and do need to put this into practice, that I need to turn so I am facing in the other direction, looking more at her and away from that damned door. She'll ask me a question, a not very intrusive one at that, and *shoop* I am gone. I hate it.

She gave me an assignment yesterday that you may want to try - using a scale from 1-10, 10 being highest, rate different situations of "ease" and "freeze". Alone, I am always a 10 on the ease scale, in therapy, I'm a freeze queen.

I sure hope this really is my year to break through this defense mechanism. It's a tough habit to break. And that is exactly what it is - it's no longer a necessary tool. Isn't it amazing how quickly and easily we can land there?

Anamiame

Yes!  The more I ponder it, the more I realize just how amazing we are to be able to do this. 

Part of my problem is, I am not at a place of wanting to stop.  I like it.  I like the fact that when I start to feel pain, I can go somewhere 'safe.' 

Also, it's the same with me.  My T can ask me a fairly innocuous question and I'm gone.  She ends up repeating herself alot.  LOL 

I wonder if anyone else feels like I do--I'm not wanting or ready to stop using it.  It almost feels like when my kids wanted me to stop smoking so badly and I didn't want to.  When the time came, I was done.  I quit. Instantly.  But before that, I had no desire to stop. 

Maybe one day I'll be ready to let it go...but not now; not yet. 

wingnut

I understand.  It's addicting. It actually does release opioids and dopamine so that's why it feels.good.
but until we are fully present we can't heal. Therein lies the rub.

Anamiame

wingnut

Anamiame,  would you mind sharing what kind of work you and your therapist are doing to hammer on this topic?  :-)

Anamiame

Wingnut: 

We've been working heavily on my dissociation.  I've always known I dissociate.  In 3rd grade the teacher would walk around and tap me on the shoulder when I was 'zoned.'  It must have been put in my records because all through elementary school that's what the teachers would do, just walk by and gently touch my shoulder so that the other students didn't see and enough to brake the stare. 

The dissociation started to get worse since I went back to therapy in October.  T would ask me a question and instantly, I had no IDEA what the question was--it was instant. 

Monday was bad after the memory.  The memory was more than traumatic and I went into a pretty severe dissociative state and I couldn't snap out of it.  So that's why she was asking the question, you have to go somewhere, where do you go? 

It may be that my dissociation is more severe than others, so this might not make sense?  But even this weekend, I've learned it's alot more of an issue than what I could accept before.  Make sense? 

schrödinger's cat

I thought about this question a lot. Not sure how severe my dissociation was, probably not very - just zoning out a lot. But people who are traumatized often instinctively regress to an earlier state of things where they still felt safe. Curling up into an embryonic position, rocking, or even just the way vanilla is such a popular taste (apparently it's because it's the taste that's closest to mother's milk).

Do you think dissociation could send us back into a state of mind we last had when we were very small?

I've got two kids, and when they were babies, I often wondered what it was like for them, what the world felt like, what was going on in their heads. They had no ability yet to perceive their surroundings. No frame of reference for anything. Not even that much of awareness - babies are born aware, but then the sheer physical stress of breathing and digestion catches up with them, and they pretty much faceplant and become very woozy. It's probably very peaceful, very dreamlike. So maybe dissociation has some echoes of that time?

wingnut

This smacks so familiar.  I spent hours gazing out the window in elementary school. 
All my t does is ask me what I feel in my body and I get spaced out. It pisses me off because it takes so little and happens week after week. I'm on a mission tho.

It does make perfect sense to me An..I figured we're masking some pretty serious *!

Jdog

Such an interesting topic!  When I was a kid, my Dad used to refer to me as "Walter Mitty", and I had no idea what that meant at the time....apparently I zoned out quite often.  My memories of playing my violin sometimes are just that it gave me a chance to escape from everything and I wasn't always even thinking about or feeling the music...just kind of making to-do lists in my head.  So I was essentially escaping within my own escape from reality- anything to avoid my feelings.  Other times, I did genuinely feel something in the music but that was not my "go to" as a kid. 

I guess maybe my love of running (the physical kind) is a more honest and direct application of my "flight" typology.  On good days, I do feel connected to myself while running and have made some improvements in that direction - it's not always about running from something.  Anyways- glad to read what others have to say about their dissociation.

Kizzie

I just seem to go to a place that's distant and kind of cottony, like all the rough edges are rounded and loud noises and bright lights are turned down.  It's very comfortable.

Anamiame

Kizzie, that's alot like mine.  It's sort of nowhere?  Peaceful...distant.

schrödinger's cat

Do you get this sense of timelessness, like you're floating? And everything's far away and nothing matters. Sometimes it reminds me of this moment between sleep and waking up: you're conscious, but not very. You hear noises and you perceive some things, but they don't concern you. You just are.

...when I put it like this, it sounds like the kind of thing other people pay gurus to be able to learn.  :blink:  Or like a trance.

Anamiame

S Cat:

Yes!  Now, scratching my head, T said, "You have to go somewhere."  How do you describe 'where' that is?  It .... isn't? 

I've been doing that alot this weekend.  I think it's a combination of seeing my brother and learning that my situation psychologically is alot more serious than I thought.  Kinda crushing and freeing all at the same time. 

But I don't 'go' anywhere.  I just sort of 'take a break' from it all.  Hmmm.

schrödinger's cat

Yes, I think of it like that, too. Like putting the gear shift into neutral and letting my mental motor idle a bit, just puttering about without much of a goal. But that's the milder dissociation I get nowadays. The ones I had before were very unsettling. It was like being a robot. No one at home. Or maybe that feeling was the result of the depersonalization and derealization? Not sure, I usually had everything at once, so I've no idea which was which. But like I said, it was unsettling. Oh hey, apparently I haven 'off' switch.  :blink: