• 9 Replies

Kizzie

• Administrator
    • View Profile
Info about Religious/Cult Abuse
« on: October 21, 2018, 05:50:32 PM »
Web Sites/Blogs
Documentaries/Videos
  • Scientology and the Aftermath - http://www.aetv.com/shows/leah-remini-scientology-and-the-aftermath.  This is a docu-series series by Leah Remini (star of the King of Queens tv show), a former member of this religion who left in 2013.  Together with a senior ex-officer of the church Mike Rinder,  they investigate the questionable practices of Scientology, including emotional and physical abuse of members.  (Updated Sept 13, 2017)
  • Falling Madly in Love ... with a Cult - Great video about the science behind getting caught up in a cult.
Books
Articles
« Last Edit: May 17, 2019, 06:13:32 PM by Kizzie »

Hope67

• View Profile
Re: Cults
« Reply #1 on: October 22, 2018, 07:18:38 PM »
Hi Kizzie,
I would like to watch this video, and hope to do so soon.  Thanks for posting it.
Hope  :)

Kizzie

• Administrator
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: October 23, 2018, 06:31:13 AM »
 :hug:

Otter Wolf

• Complex Trauma Canada
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: April 27, 2019, 03:21:12 PM »
Interesting explanation of the biological and chemical experience of cult recruitment.

I need to clarify two points from this video. No one joins a cult. Cults don't tell people they're cults when they're recruiting. Additionally, the presenter's laughter at the end of the video undermines his previous attempts to be respectful to survivor and families affected by cults.

Cult involvement is one of the most stigmatized experiences in our society. The most salient question that arises automatically is "How could you/I be so stupid?" For survivors, that makes recovery and disclosure even more difficult.

His comment that anyone could fall victim to a cult is true. I always frame it with the question: Have you ever believed anything that wasn't true? If so, you too are susceptible to being manipulated, exploited and betrayed. And that's all of us, because no one could possibly know everything all the time and therefore recognize lies when they're delivered via kindness.

The best protection against cultic controlling, manipulative, exploitative, dangerous relationships is authentic connection within existing social groups - families, schools, communities, relationships. Disconnected, isolated, disenfranchised, disillusioned people are the easiest prey for predatory humans. That's why it's so important for us to shift our social priorities to support healthy family and community relationships and connections through trauma and ACEs acknowledgement and prevention. 

The best resources about all things cults and psychological manipulation are available through https://www.icsahome.com/
They hold annual conferences in North America and Europe. They support research, survivors, treatment, families. They publish books and have a YouTube channel where you can watch videos by actual experts in the field. https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCS_hc5LO1HtMvoa8kRcLcig/videos

Cults are actually way more common than we realize in Canada and around the world. Some of the world's leading experts in cults do their research in Canada.

Just one more request for people interested in this topic - please don't use the expression "drank the Koolaid" It's actually not admirable to make light of the coerced suicide of over 900 people, mostly women and children.

Spiritual abuse is one of the most difficult sources of trauma to recover from because it threatens survivors' eternal safety and security. It's actually not a laughing matter. And no one ever gives consent to this experience. If people knew what they were getting into, it wouldn't be a cult, since the fundamental characteristic of a cult is deception.

Thanks for creating a forum for this topic. Thanks for your interest in it.

If you're a survivor, you're not alone. You can recover.
« Last Edit: April 27, 2019, 04:40:11 PM by Kizzie »

Kizzie

• Administrator
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: April 27, 2019, 04:34:43 PM »
Thanks for the additional resources on cults OtterWolf.

While your caution is noted I must point out that as trauma survivors no-one here would ever think being abused by a cult is a laughing matter so admonishment is not really a good tact to take here at OOTS (preaching to the choir).
« Last Edit: April 27, 2019, 04:40:35 PM by Kizzie »

Otter Wolf

• Complex Trauma Canada
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: April 27, 2019, 08:14:34 PM »
Sorry if I came across as admonishing of anyone in this forum. That was in no way my intention. I just didn't think it was appropriate for the guy at the end of the video to be laughing.

Three Roses

• CPTSD is an injury, not an illness.
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: April 29, 2019, 03:45:05 PM »
I appreciate you sharing this video with the forum, Kizzie! and Otter Wolf, you've given me new insight into inappropriate responses I've been guilty of in the past, so thank you to you, too.  :hug:

Kizzie

• Administrator
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: April 29, 2019, 09:42:30 PM »
Sorry if I came across as admonishing of anyone in this forum. That was in no way my intention. I just didn't think it was appropriate for the guy at the end of the video to be laughing.

Fair enough OW, I didn't find the speaker's demeanor inappropriate myself but I accept you did and perhaps you could leave a comment for him as he may benefit from hearing what you think.   :Idunno:   

I also wanted to point out that the topic of cults wasn't included here b/c it's interesting, but b/c members have actual lived experience of being raised in a cult and of developing Complex PTSD as a result. That said, many of us weren't abused in cult but know the process of being love bombed and controlled by perpetrators as it's a common strategy used by other abusers (e.g., pedophiles, narcissists). Understanding it as both a psychological and physical process is not something all of us get though and it's why I found the  video helpful.

Hope67

• View Profile
« Reply #8 on: May 07, 2019, 05:56:10 PM »
Hi Kizzie,
I realise I intended to watch this video some time ago, but I actually did watch it today - and it was good.  I appreciated what the man was saying, and it made sense.  I found the video helpful - thanks for sharing it.
Hope  :)

Kizzie

• Administrator
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: May 07, 2019, 06:08:50 PM »
Glad you found it helpful Hope  :thumbup: