• 5 Replies

Kizzie

• Administrator
    • View Profile
Info about Religious/Cult Abuse
« on: October 21, 2018, 05:50:32 PM »
Web Sites/Blogs
Documentaries/Videos
  • Scientology and the Aftermath - http://www.aetv.com/shows/leah-remini-scientology-and-the-aftermath.  This is a docu-series series by Leah Remini (star of the King of Queens tv show), a former member of this religion who left in 2013.  Together with a senior ex-officer of the church Mike Rinder,  they investigate the questionable practices of Scientology, including emotional and physical abuse of members.  (Updated Sept 13, 2017)
  • Falling Madly in Love ... with a Cult - Great video about the science behind getting caught up in a cult.
Books
Articles
« Last Edit: May 17, 2019, 06:13:32 PM by Kizzie »

Hope67

• View Profile
Re: Cults
« Reply #1 on: October 22, 2018, 07:18:38 PM »
Hi Kizzie,
I would like to watch this video, and hope to do so soon.  Thanks for posting it.
Hope  :)

Hope67

• View Profile
« Reply #2 on: May 07, 2019, 05:56:10 PM »
Hi Kizzie,
I realise I intended to watch this video some time ago, but I actually did watch it today - and it was good.  I appreciated what the man was saying, and it made sense.  I found the video helpful - thanks for sharing it.
Hope  :)

Kizzie

• Administrator
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: May 07, 2019, 06:08:50 PM »
Glad you found it helpful Hope  :thumbup:

Kizzie

• Administrator
    • View Profile
Re: Info about Religious/Cult Abuse
« Reply #4 on: June 28, 2022, 02:11:20 PM »
Hillsong Church's Scandals Imperil the Future of the Megachurch

Article about abuses at Hillsong Megachurch How did the church that once attracted stars such as Justin Bieber and Kyrie Irving (who's since converted to Islam) fail to keep its hip, holy image? Hillsong’s problems with reports of abuse — sexual and otherwise — are not unique. After all, there have been countless tales of sexual abuse, pedophilia and other abuses in Protestant and Roman Catholic churches and in religious groups across the world.

There are lots of articles about this particular church and some documentaries as well - just Google.

Papa Coco

• View Profile
Re: Info about Religious/Cult Abuse
« Reply #5 on: July 18, 2022, 02:26:38 PM »
Hi everyone,

I have another source of information about religious abuse. Life After Dagma.org. (https://lifeafterdogma.org/). This blog and web site are run by Andrew Jasko, who has a compassionate and realistic understanding of how religion traumatizes us. I find his YouTube videos by just going to YouTube and searching on "Andrew Jasko". He understands the trauma of being in the religions AND the trauma of getting away from them. If you follow me in this forum, you will see that I still harbor immense anger at religions, but he isn't like that. He has managed to find forgiveness and is able to speak eloquently about how their dogmas traumatize us, and how to recover from them when we're ready. He knows that we can feel like we're sinning when we try to escape, and he knows that our families and friends might turn on us if we renounce the religions that lied and raped and brutalized us for so long. He gets it.

I am very, very spiritual. I know I'm a small piece of something larger than myself and that we humans are all connected through forces we can't see. I pray deeply and effectively. For me, untangling religion from spirituality did not damage my spiritual life, it increased it. I feel like my connection to spirituality is stronger now that I don't have churches interfering with it.