ADD

Started by goblinchild, October 23, 2018, 07:26:21 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

goblinchild

I've posted a lot on this forum about the relationship I have with schoolwork due to related trauma, but no matter how deeply I delve into the problem and no matter how much I resolve, I still have problems doing schoolwork. I think it's time to see a psychiatrist about ADD. In my logical mind, this makes sense and I think it's the right move, but I still doubt myself. I don't want to need another medication and I know I would prefer this to be a CPTSD issue completely fixable by therapy and effort but for some reason I still feel like I should be trying harder to fix what's "clearly" a trauma issue or like I'm "running away" from the truth to find an easier option. My brother- who grew up having the same problems I do in school- had a social worker intervene when he was in school who made my parents (somehow) get him checked out and diagnosed with ADD. He's done great on medication for years now. Why can't I do that for myself? Maybe some things are that simple? Of course trauma is still part of the equation but this problem doesn't act like it's just trauma? Maybe it makes sense that ADD is part of the equation too?
I guess I'm just looking for encouragement/validation. Does anyone else here have ADD or ADHD? Has anyone heard of any links between ADD/ADHD and CPTSD?

LilyITV

My brother who experienced the same type of abuse as I did was diagnosed with ADHD in college and took meds for it.  He was abused much more severely and over a longer period of time because my father thought that was necessary to keep boys in line.  The meds did help him focus. 

I do not have it., but I had my 7 year old daughter evaluated for ADHD by a neuropsychologist.  After three days of testing the neuropsych determined that she did not meet all of the criteria for a classic form of ADHD, but gave her a diagnosis of ADHD-NOS so she it would be easier for her to get on a 504 plan at school if it became a problem.  The doc thought that my daughter was just immature and would grow out of the worst of the symptoms.  She also noted that my daughter is a highly creative type and those kids tend to have delays in the development of their executive functioning.

I do remember reading about a link between ADHD and C-PTSD.  The difficulty is that some kids are misdiagnosed as having ADHD when they really are suffering the effects of trauma.  Another problem is that some kids who actually have ADHD are also abused by children, either because their parent had it or the parent uses traumatizing forms of discipline because they don't know how to effectively parent a child with ADHD. 

ADHD is a very tricky disease to diagnose and treat.  It is very difficult to get an accurate diagnosis.  After spending a ton of $$$$$ getting my daughter evaluated, her teachers are still debating on whether she has it or not.  One of them insists she falls under the inattentive type of ADHD.

The one consolation I can give you is that ADHD does not always have to be treated with meds.  With my daughter, everyone does *not* believe she needs meds, even the one who definitely thinks she has it.  Instead, they are using a variety of other strategies to help her focus. So if you're diagnosed they won't automatically place you on meds.  It will be a collaborative decision.

the mirliton

Hello goblinchild,
Speaking for myself, it has been a rough road when it comes to diagnosis's (is that even a word?  ???)  that have been bequeathed to me over the years. CPTSD was/is spot on for me, which only came up within the last couple of years. Manic Depressive/Bi-Polar was the first "label" that my family in particular liked because it made me seem like the one causing any and all of the negative commotion in my life. The problem with that, or any incorrect diagnosis, is that often times the meds prescribed only add to the CPTSD symptoms. I do not know how I slipped under the radar for ADHD testing, and it was only when my guru psy. nurse actually listened to my frustrations of wanting to practice and use some of the skills I learned after a year of attending a DBT (Dialectical Behavior Therapy) Institute (twice a week WITH homework for ONE year) Oh yea, I was also mis-diagnosed with having Borderline Personality Disorder.
OK this is getting a bit lengthy. So! with the diagnosis of ADHD and CPTSD and some stellar medications I now (for the most part) can at least slow down my reactions to triggers. I finally sleep better and can actually focus for more than 5 minutes which has helped my sometimes very low self esteem. What I like is that the combination of meds that I do take do not feel like I am being medicated. Does that make sense?  I do NOT like medications and much prefer healthy eating/practicing mindfulness and hanging out with animals and trees.  ;D They (the meds) have helped me to be able to do more of the things that I love and not lose as much time from my "episodes".  I would also have to say that I am probably still alive because of the meds for my ADHD helping to slow down my trigger-finger.
Sending positive thoughts to surround you as you investigate this further.

goblinchild

Do you know, I remember writing a reply to these helpful comments months ago and in an ironic turn of events I must have forgot to post it. Lol.

I wanted to come back and update that I'm on medication now and while things aren't 100% better, they're SO much better than they were! Also, it turns out that the medication I'm on treats a lot of my other non-ADD problems as well but no one had suggested it because no one knew how bad my ADD problems were until I spoke up about it. Heck, I didn't even know how bad they were comparatively. Apparently, they're pretty bad but I was managing them so well with my own tricks and problem solving techniques that I'm skipping ADHD therapy that usually teaches you all those things and going straight to meds. Couldn't be happier. I knew I had great creative problem solving skills.

I feel a lot more able to tackle all those feelings about schoolwork now, and they really don't seem as daunting as they did before at all. I think I learned an important lesson about not doubting myself so much and not letting other people (Even professionals, because they're fallible humans too.) tell me how I feel.